Chapter 18: Journey back

Bethany's P.O.V

As we flew away from the collapsing building there was a sound of shattering glass before the line went silent. Clint and Natasha piloted the jet away from the S.H.E.I.L.D base, Bruce and Sofia say silently side by side and Thor just watched everything outside the window.

Meanwhile I paced back and forth, thinking about what had happened in the space of ten minuets. Everything that was put under the names 'Bethany Lloyd' and 'Deanna Chalmers' was blown up and we could do nothing about it. We just about survived and I didn't know where Deanna and they guys were.

"Beth are you okay?" A voice asked as a gentle hand was placed on my shoulder. Snapping from my thoughts I turned my head to meet the hazel eyes of Sofia.

"I'm fine." I replied, "Just thinking."

"That's all you ever do." Natasha chuckled from the cock-pit. A small smile crossed over my face.

"It's just so confusing. In the space of ten minuets everything was destroyed, everything under mine and De's name." I explained. "I thought we had everything under control."

"Don't be to hard on yourself." Bruce said as Sofia sat down next to him again. "You're still young, it's hard for anyone to have that much responsibility anyway even when they're older."

"The Director seems fine at it." Thor spoke. The two scientists glared at him and shook their heads.

"Fury's been doing it for years and he has help from Maria." Sofia replied. "But that's not the point."

"Well it is isn't it?" I asked, throwing myself down onto a chair across from Bruce. "We failed at being leaders, we killed fifty innocent people!"

"You didn't, HYDRA must of." Clint spoke up from the cock-pit.

"But we did! We didn't pick up on the bomb, neither did J.A.R.V.I.S!" I argued. "Wait." I paused for a moment, my brain putting the pieces together causing me to sit up straight. "J.A.R.V.I.S didn't notice the bomb until it was activated and the doors were locked."

"That means someone must have locked the doors from the inside then planted the bomb." Bruce continued, catching into what I was saying.

"That means that there was a HYDRA Agent posing as a S.H.E.I.L.D Agent." Sofia added.

"So they killed themselves while trying to kill us?" Thor asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah but it backfired majorly." I agreed. "They killed themselves but we survived."

"Well we hope we all survived." Natasha retaliated.

"They can't have died." I argued.

"By the sounds of shattering glass." Clint sighed. "If they survived they're going to have some serious injuries."

"What are you two?" I asked. "The couple who always look on the worst side of things?"

"There's no bright side to what we do Beth!" Natasha snapped, turning round to face me. "Like you've said yourself to Fury, we've all you and Deanna especially been in too many near death experiences to count! What's just happened also happens to add to that number!"

"Nat calm down." Sofia said softly. "We don't need to argue right now." I fell silent and bowed my head. The red head slummed back into the co-pilot chair and everything fell silent again. The journey back to the tower was an awkward one, but it wasn't a long one.