Chapter 38: Rescue

Deanna's P.O.V

Slowly I made my way along the rafter of the building, listening to everyone discuss why there weren't any people in the base. My mind blocked out the conversation, too busy concentrating on moving around the rafters that were structured differently to any others I'd climbed.

"Look they can't be too-"

"Found them." I cried, cutting off Steve. Several Agents stood by a door just below me. They had been talking between themselves until one of the beams broke under my foot. Snapping their heads up they all raised their weapons and began to shoot, narrowly missing me each time.

Jumping down I rolled out of the way, notched an arrow and released. The arrow struck one guys chest but didn't stop the others. "Fuck." I growled, diving behind the corner and notching another arrow.

"Need a hand?" A voice came, startling me slightly. Beth, Steve, Natasha and James all stood behind me. James had his hand out to me, offering to help me to my feet.

"Not from you." I shot back before killing another guy. We all dived into the fight, soon being joined by Thor, Clint, Sam and Tony. Bruce had made his way back out too the jet, finding no need to turn into the Other Guy.

"Angel! Mockingbird! Get to the door!" Steve ordered as the Avengers, Falcon and Winter Soldier took on the HYDRA Agents who's numbers just seemed to be multiplying. Nodding Bethany and I bolted towards the metal doors and tried pulling them open; with no luck.

There was no keypad around for a password or passcode and no hand scanner either. "Heads!" Somebody screamed while Bethany and I tried to open the door. Not noticing the yell was towards us we continued working until we were both grabbed and thrown to the floor.

As we hit the concrete ground Thor's hammer slammed into the doors, denting them and opening them ever so slightly. "Wow how strong are those doors?" Steve asked from next to Beth who he had protected. Shrugging I scrambled away from whoever had grabbed me and yanked open the doors.

It was fairly dark inside but I could make out the shadows of two people. Everything in the corridor went silent, giving the impression we had won. Bethany appeared beside me while everyone else crowed behind us. "Pepper?" Tony called.

"Tony?" A voice replied instantly. Sighing in relief I reached over to the wall in order to find the light switch, however another voice stopped me for a moment as well as making everyone else gasp.

"Thor?"

"Lady Foster?" The God replied. Instantly my hand hit the light switch and the room was flooded with light. When we could all see the room properly we all took in the situation. Pepper and a woman with brown hair were tied to chairs, small cuts and bruises all over their bodies.

"Holy shit." I muttered as Tony and Thor bolted forward to untie the woman. Looking around the room I noticed dry blood splattered across the walls, burn marks, scratches and chains. Broken chairs lay sprawled across the floor and skeletons hung from the ceiling.

"Are you guys okay?" Bruce's voice interrupted the silence.

"Yeah. We've rescued Pepper along with Miss Jane Foster who was also held captive." Bethany informed the two scientists who were back at the jet. "They look okay, just a few cuts and bruises but nothing major."

"Glad you're all okay." Sofia replied. "However you won't be when I tell you Fury's been on the Jets coms. He wants us all back at the tower once we've rescued Pepper."

"We tried to argue but he wasn't having any of it, sorry guys." Bruce apologised.

"It's not your fault don't worry about it." I mumbled. "The only person who should be worrying is Fury himself."