Chapter 22: Eventful trip

Deanna's P.O.V

It took everyone forty-five minuets to completely pack and get onto Starks jet. As we took off everyone positioned themselves in different places in the large jet, doing their own things or talking quietly. Tony was piloting the jet and explaining the idea of a phone to Thor who was in the co-pilots chair.

Natasha and Pepper were sitting behind the two 'pilots' to the right, both hovering over a Stark pad and looking for a house that they could buy at such short notice and that was big enough for everyone. Steve and Beth were sitting on the left behind the guys, talking quietly together.

Bruce and Sofia sat near the back discussing the best way to track HYDRA and what to do in order to take down the organisation. Me and Clint were sitting behind Beth and Steve, Clint sitting behind me. The male archer was in his own world plaiting my hair like he used to do a few years ago.

James was-. "Hey." James sat down in front of me with a warm smile. He was in one of Steve's dark blue t-shirts and jeans, his metal arm reflecting the light streaming from the jet lights.

"Hello." I greeted, a small smile forming on my own lips. "How are you feeling about all this?" I asked, concerned for the brunette male. He has just been snapped back into himself and then told he was going with a group he hadn't met before to England; not the best first impression of us all I guess.

"I'm fine to be honest, Steve explained a little bit while he was packing." James replied. I nodded slightly, only to be slapped on the shoulder by Clint.

"Don't move." The archer instructed.

"Sorry." I muttered.

"Anyway." James dragged my attention back to him. "I still don't know your really name. I know your code name's Mockingbird." A small chuckle escaped my throat as he added. "But I'd like to know the name of the dame who was always sitting on me when I came round."

"Deanna Chalmers, or De as everyone calls me." I introduced, holding my hand out. "Nice to official meet you I guess." James lightly took my hand but instead of shaking it he placed a small light kiss on my knuckles.

"Well you already know me."

"Who doesn't?" I asked with a light laugh. "Well everyone mostly knows your erm, alter ego"

"Alter ego?" He echoed, making me wince at the idea of bringing it up. Steve and Beth must have head the conversation because before I could reply my brunette friend plopped down beside me and Steve sat down next to his friend.

"Don't worry about it too much." Beth assured. "That person seems to be gone now."

"What was my alter ego like?" The brunette male in front of me asked. His question made Steve visibly tense, Bethany sighed, Clint froze behind me and my eyes snapped shut. "What did I do?" He asked again, I could feel his eyes searching all four of our faces for the answer he was looking for.

"Your alter ego is known as the Winter Soldier." I replied in a whisper, my eyes still closed. "You worked for HYDRA as their best assassin."

"I what?!" He raised his voice and I could hear him jump up from the chair. My eyes snapped open as Steve also jumped up while Clint pulled me and Bethany back slightly. Everyone else's eyes turned to the five of us, most of them wide with concern at the situation.

"Bucky listen." Steve said sternly. "That had you under a mind control, it wasn't you."

"But it was me wasn't it?" James asked with a growl. "I worked for them and I'm guessing I killed people." He turned to me. "Didn't I?" I squirmed under his gaze. In the short time of being with us he must have figured out who withheld information the best and who had a good chance of cracking under pressure.

Clint then pulled me behind him and stated. "Listen that's nothing to be concerned about right now. What important is that we all keep our heads in order to take down HYDRA." James however didn't move his gaze from me, making me a little uncomfortable.

After a moment I sighed and dropped my head, nodding slightly as I did so. "All assassins kill people." I explained. "Even the young ones."