Chapter 30: Rhodey calls

3rd persons P.O.V

The next morning the Avengers, Sofia, Bethany, Deanna and James woke up tiredly, each of them blinking in the bright morning light. As everyone made their way down stairs Steve introduced everyone properly to Sam who had stayed the night, to drunk and tired to make his way home.

The house it's self wasn't in the best state. Plastic cups littered the floor along with paper plates, food crumbs and alcohol stains. "Well at least we know it was a good night." Clint commented, takin a seat on by the kitchen island while Sofia and Natasha began breakfast.

Deanna and James were also sitting by the island, across from one another the blondes head on the table. Steve, Bethany and Sam were all leaning against the walls in the kitchen while Bruce, Thor and Tony were all just standing around with their arms folded.

"I don't remember much of the night to comment." Tony mumbled, rubbing his face.

"I don't think any of us do." Steve added. "Not even I remember what happened and I wasn't drunk."

"It's a little odd that none of us can remember." Natasha agreed from the cooker. "But we have to go off the way the house looks I guess."

"I'm sure there was something that happened last night that I was meant to mention to you guys." Bethany said, scratching her head slightly in thought.

"It can't have been that important then." Clint commented, grabbing a grape from mid air that was flying towards Deanna's open mouth.

"Bastard." The blonde muttered, glaring at the older archer.

"I'm sure it was." Bethany argued. "I'm sure I really needed to tell you something but I can't remember it."

"Why can't any of us remember anything?" Sam asked curiously. "It seems a little odd."

"Our life is a little odd." Sofia commented as she and Natasha placed pancakes, bacon, sausages, toast and more breakfast foods in the centre of the island. The group ate in silence until a loud ringing echoed around. Deanna jumped from her place and made her way into the living room.

When she came in the house phone was to her ear and her face was in a straight line. "It's Rhodey." She said, putting it on speaker phone.

"Hey Rhodey!" Everyone called, including Sam.

"Good morning everyone." The male replied. "How are you all?"

"Confused." Bethany replied, "None of us remember anything."

"Neither do I." Rhodey replied. "But don't worry, that means the party was a success."

"What do we owe the pleasure of a phone call Rhodey?" Tony questioned, sipping his drink.

"I wouldn't call it a pleasure." Rhodey's voice suddenly shifted, making everyone in the room stiffen slightly.

"What's wrong?" Steve asked, standing up from his place.

"It's Pepper."

"What about Pepper?" Bruce asked as Tony chocked on his drink and spat it all over the floor.

"She's gone missing." The male on the other end of the phone replied.

"Missing or kidnapped?" Bethany asked, as she and Deanna looked at each other in horror. If Pepper couldn't be found my the police or military that would be another thing to add to their list of things to do. They were already struggling with everything else they had to do.

"By the looks of all the evidence that was collected from the room she was staying in, she was kidnapped. The only problem is there is minimal evidence to try and track down the kidnapper." Rhodey replied.

"What evidence do you have?" Deanna's asked, the phone still in her hand as she leant her elbows in the table in between Steve and Bethany.

"Nothing much, her bed wasn't made so she must have been taken in the night. The window was wide open but reported closed most of the night. Her bags have been untouched and her phone was left on the night stand. Other than that there was nothing out of the ordinary." Rhodey explained.

"There has to be something else." Bethany murmured. "Have you checked everything?"

"Yes." The male replied. "I currently have all the evidence with me."

"Unlock her phone." Deanna said. "If someone wanted her for something they would have left something." The phone went silent for a moment, everyone waiting for the results. Tony was now up and pacing, his eyes blazing in anger. "Come on." The blonde muttered.

"Oh." Was the only thing that came from the phone, making everyone freeze yet again. "Her back screen has changed."

"To what?" Tony demanded.

"Calm down." Steve said, holding the billionaires shoulders. "Whatever has happened we will find her, but getting angry isn't helping." Tony glared but his body relaxed ever so slightly.

"It's a red symbol that looks like an octopus." Rhodey replied, slightly confused.

"Oh no." Sofia gasped.

"We should of known." Bucky added.

"Shit." Deanna growled.

"What's wrong?" Rhodey asked.

"HYDRA." Was the only thing Tony said before storming into the back garden to calm down.

"Oh"