Chapter 36: Leadership handover

Deanna's P.O.V

"Just drop the weapon." I huffed, my arrow dangerously close to James' neck. We were training out in the back garden and James decided to challenge me to a spar. Being small made it easy to avoid his blows and a few minuets later I managed to defeat him.

That's how we ended up in the situation we were in right now with everyone else watching. My bow was held up with an arrow notched closely to his neck, one wrong move and he'd slit his own throat. The sword he had was pointing to the ground, he still had a hold on it but my foot was on it to stop it moving.

"Or what?" He taunted, knowing I wasn't going to hurt him. My eyes narrowed as I kicked his sword away from me and pulled away.

"Or what?" I repeated. "Or what? I'll give you an or what!"

"That's enough!" Bethany yelled as Clint grabbed my arm and pulled me away. "This is actually getting stupid you two need to stop."

"It's not might fault she's feisty." James counted as Clint tried to get me back inside. Pulling away from the older archer I notched another arrow, ran forward and kicked the sword out of his hands completely. My arrow moved near his throat once more and my eyes narrowed.

"I'm feisty for a reason." I growled. "If I wasn't feisty I would as good as dead!" With that I pulled away once again and made my way over to Steve and Beth who were both glaring at me and James. Shrugging it off I pulled my mask off my eyes and held it loosely in my left hand.

"I'm handing over my leadership roll on this mission." I said loudly. Everyone else gasped while Bethany and Steve looked at me. "Although I'm not meant to I can't be dealing with this responsibility anymore, I don't believe I am in the right state of mind to do so.

"So I herby hand over my leadership status to Steve Rogers, Captain America. We now follow the orders of Angel and Captain America unless told otherwise, they make the better decisions and work the best as a team. But don't screw up Cap, it's not official so every death is still under my name."

With that I made my way back inside and up to the room I shared with Beth. After changing into my PJs and throwing an oversized black hoodie over them I made my way to the widow seat and sat down. My eyes wander up to the grey sky above, ignoring the others training below.

Sighing I got back up and walked downstairs and into the kitchen. As I made myself a hot chocolate I felt a presence behind me. Taking the warm mug into my hands I turned round and looked up through the hood I had flipped up. Bethany stood in front of me with a small smile.

"You know you can't just announce that and then ditch training." She said gently.

"I can and I did." I replied in a mumble. "Look I don't mean to start on James its just-" Stopping midway I bit my lip and tightened my grip on the mug slightly. Bethany moved towards me and placed her hand gently on my shoulder, silently comforting me and coaching me to continue.

"I guess everything's just finally caught up with me and now with Pepper being kidnapped I just can't." I muttered finally.

"We'll be fine." Bethany cooed quietly. "And when this is all over we'll have a nice holiday to forget all about it."

"We can never forget about it." I replied walking towards the stairs with my mug still in hand and head down. "We've been in this job since we were sixteen, we can never get the images out of our heads, we'll never have a normal life again, it's over."