Chapter 31

Vic's POV

"So how was it?" Mike asked when I walked into my father's home.

"Well, my Kellin graduated." I said with a genuine smile.

"Did you talk to him?" He asked, making me sigh.

"No."

"What? Why not? I though that you were going to try," he said.

I sat down on the stool across from him and locked my hands together in thought.

"I couldn't do it. He was too happy and I'll be dammed if I were to ruin his big moment."

Mike nodded, and it looked like he wanted to say something else but I beat him to it by changing the subject.

"So did the nurse come by?" I asked.

"Yeah, just about an hour ago." He said and we both walked up to my father's bedroom.

Like everyday he laid in the same position, and if anyone were to walk in here, they would think he was sleeping. But it's not that, and I wonder how long it'll be like that.

"Hey, don't think I didn't notice that you changed the topic." Mike said across from me with arms crossed.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"I just don't want to talk about it." I stubbornly said, wanting to get away from a lecture.

"Well then, I'm so sorry for trying to help my brother that majorly fucked up." He said annoyed with me. "Look, I get that it'll be hard to fix all this mess but you shouldn't just stop trying."

"He hates me."

"Did he say that?" He asked and I shook my head. "I thought so. You love him, Vic, so you shouldn't give up just like this. When we were at the hospital, Kellin had accidentally admitted he loved you to me. You mean so much to him, just by the look in his eyes when he spoke about you gave it away. You shouldn't just throw this relationship away. You need to try at least."

I didn't know how to respond so I stayed silent, keeping my eyes on my father. Mike was still very annoyed with me so when he took a step away, I knew he was leaving the room.

"But you know what? If you're really going to be this little subborn shit and give up, I don't want to hear your whining or crying. If you're really not going to change you're fucking ways, then you need to stop being a damn baby."

That was the last thing he said before leaving me alone in the room with my father. I didn't want to admit it, but Mike was right. I know that he wants to help me, but for some reason I don't let him.

"Hey dad." I said and sat beside the bed. "So yeah, I went to see Kellin. He looked so happy it almost made me cry."

They told me that people in comas might be able to hear you so you should speak to them. I do it every time I'm alone with him and so does Mike. It's a good way to get things off my chess and I like to keep him updated in case he can really hear me.

"I'm sorry if you heard the conversation between Mike and I. It's not like I want to be a jerk on purpose, but I just can't help it. I know that I can't give up on trying to win Kellin back, but I'm afraid of failure. What if he really hates me?" I asked the question that I dreaded so much.

"Judging from the day I went to his place, I think he does. He told me to leave and didn't even want to look at me. That was probably the most painful moment in my life. I remember his friend closing the door in front of me, locking me out from Kellin. I had walked back to my car and cried. Pathetic right?" I said with a dry chuckle.