Chapter Eighteen

I held my head against the door still taking in short sharp breathes even if I didn't have too. The pain in my side does still hurt. Maybe that is why.

I'm not sure.

"Cayden?" Zack whispers my name.

"Please don't talk," Jason says.

"This is worse for him then us. Or it will be. He got stabbed. You been stabbed before?"

"No."

"Then let me talk. You alright Cayden?"

"I'll be fine. I hate waiting. Can't see a thing. What is his bloody plan?"

"I'm not sure Cayden but we just need to be patient."

"Don't touch me," says Jordon to my left.

What is he talking about? Jordon brushes against me and starts banging on the door.

"Jordon what the hell are you doing?" I ask confused.

"I need out. I need out now!" He barks at me.

"You can't break through the door so just calm down okay," I say softly.

A noise cracked through the corridor. A eery sort of groaning noise that made Zack grab my arm, "what you suppose that is?"

"Not a clue. But I guess it begins now."

What happened first shocked me. Jordan started to beg the air to leave him be.

"Leave me. Why are you doing this? You promised.."

I don't quite get what he means by that but I had no time to dwell on that.

Something gripped onto my ankle. My body tumbles to the ground with a thud. I curse out loud shouting, "Zack."

Something falls on top of me, I hear Zack grumble something but I don't quite catch it.

Sharp pain shoots through my ankle as I begin to get dragged by something down the corridor.

"Bring him to me," whispers a voice.

"Cayden," says Zack as I feel Zack trying to help me free from what is dragging me down the corridor.

"Can you see what it is?" I ask as I claw towards my ankle to try figure out what it actually is.

"I can't see a thing," Zack says with a sudden thud two things colliding together. "Get off!" Zack shouts with rage.

What had hold off my ankle had let go. I scramble to my feet trying to figure out what is happening backing away and colliding with a door behind me.

The door creaks open vibrating through the whole corridor but also bringing some light.

I see Zack on the ground fighting off some sort of small creature but it looks human, almost.

My ankle is aching I look down at it to find it sore and bleeding. I go to rush forward to try help him but something pulled me into the room and slammed the door behind us.

"Cayden," the voice whispered from behind me.

I whip around to find a man before me. Scars down his arms, sweat down his unshaved face.

He looks at me with his head slightly tilted to the left. He is wearing a lab coat, blood down it.

"Who are you? What are you going to do?" I ask.

He continues to look at me strangely. "Cayden...he wants much from you. He wishes to see pain, he wishes to break you."

"Why me?" I ask. The question I have found myself saying more times then I can remember since I had died.