1.6 Calum: Bad Seed

Calum wiped away the blood near his pitch black eyes as he stepped over the bodies. Another pile with his name on it. You might say he was letting off steam but this was also what he did for fun, what he did often, what he did regardless of how he was feeling. If demons even feel that is.

They hadn't done anything really. They were just demons who were jumping the line between Ashton and Amira. His sister had sent him to finalize their decision. She had hoped they'd choose her. They chose incorrectly so Calum disposed of them.

"Is it done?" Amira spoke to him in his mind.

"Yes, sister."

"And?" Calum didn't reply. Amira scoffed. "I knew it. Well, thank you, as always Calum."

"Do you need anything else from me?" Amira sighed.

"Not tonight little brother. Have fun. Go do something different." Different? Calum could do that. In fact, different was in Minnesota working in a diner.

Ava saw him again that night during her shift. He walked in and Ava smiled to herself. She knew he would be back. While her boss wasn't too convinced by Ava's testimony, or the slip of paper Calum had left for her, Ava knew he wouldn't skip out on the bill.

Picking up a menu, Ava walked towards him. "Hello Calum. It's good to see you again." The corners of his mouth twitched. It was almost a smile.

"It's good to see you too." Calum repeated back to her. Ava smiled wider.

"Come on, I'll take you to your table." Ava sat Calum in the same seat she had last time and without even looking at the menu, Calum ordered.

"I'll just have a hamburger again."

"Are you sure?" Calum nodded and even though it was a small order, Ava wrote it down.

"Alright, I'll be right out with that." Calum touched her arm lightly as Ava was about to walk away. Ava paused and waited for him to say something. He moved his hand away slowly and stuck it into his pocket.

"I have the money from last time." Calum finally looked up at her and he almost wished he hadn't. Her soul was so pure and having it so close was almost purifying. He grit his teeth and clenched his right hand into a fist. He had to deal with it. Ava smiled broadly and didn't seem to notice his slight discomfort.

"I knew you would. My boss wasn't convinced and deducted it from my pay but.."

"What?" Calum demanded. Ava was surprised to see him scowling so fiercely.

"My boss? She wasn't angry or anything. Well, maybe a little." Calum stood.

"Where is she? I said I would pay she should.." Ava touched Calum's shoulder in surprise.

"Calum, it's fine. You don't have to be angry. You're paying. I'll get the money back into my paycheck everything is fine." Calum remained tense but Ava's questioning stare softened him enough to get him to sit back down. Ava smiled. "See, everything is fine." Calum licked his lips and said nothing. "I'll put this in the register, explain this to my boss and everything will be perfect." Calum handed Ava the money and Ava noted how warm his hands were.

When she got the to the register, Ava noticed how it was the exact amount Calum had to pay for the burger. Ava hadn't even gotten the chance to tell him how much it was. Frowning a little, she wondered how he had guessed the right amount.

"One hamburger please." Ava said, entering the kitchen and putting in the order. The cook nodded and got to work while Ava went to talk to Dory. "Missus Dory?" Ava spoke up as she shouted out instructions.

"What is it Ava?"

"That guy I told you about, Calum. He came back and he paid. He's here again." Ava informed her. Dory frowned.

"Well you tell him that he has to pay upfront this time. No leaving and coming back. Upfront." She said firmly. Ava nodded in understanding. Meanwhile, Calum clenched his fists at the table. He wanted to wring that women's scrawny neck.

Ava took Calum his burger ten minutes later and he received it with a smile. Ava smiled back. She thought Calum would look better if he smiled more though she didn't tell him this. He ate slowly, almost calculated, like last time. This time he did stay. He finished his burger, paid and was out the door, though Calum didn't actually leave.

He stayed and quietly watched Ava's shift and then he walked her home. Ava of course didn't know he was there but she did get a sort of sense that someone was following her. Not in a bad way but almost in a guardian angel kind of way. It made her smile.

As soon as she entered her house, Calum smiled and Vaporized back to the Dory's Diner where he knew Dory would still be closing up. It was her restaurant after all. He waited, in the shadows for her. She always left out the side entrance, the one in the alley. How cliche.

As soon as Dory stepped out, Calum wasted no time, he attacked. He misjudged Dory though. She had some fight in her but she was human. She was dead before she could even figure out who was attacking her. Calum smiled and Vaporized away, leaving his mess where he had made it.