3.2 Calum: Confessions

It had been a week since Ava had last seen Calum, knuckles covered in blood and beating on some poor guy in her yard. She almost didn't want to believe it was true. One second the two of them were there and the next, gone. Ava thought she must have lost her damn mind for a second but that didn't make sense. Was it just her subconscious coping with the fact that he was leaving? Was seeing him covered in blood, eyes glowing red a sign that she was scared of loosing him? That they guy he was essentially killing was the hope for their future? That didn't sound right to Ava either.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Ava's mom asked, touching her daughters arm lightly. They were both sitting on the living room couch. Ever since she had met Calum, Ava had noted the wonderful things that had happened, her moms cancer disappearing, her promotion at the diner and while their had been several bumps, Dory's death and her dads rejection of Calum, Ava thought that the remission of her mothers cancer trumped all of that.

"It's nothing Momma." Ava said with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. Her mom gave her a knowing look.

"It's not nothing baby now tell me what's on your mind." Ava sighed and put her book down, shifting on the couch so she could face her mother.

"It's Calum." She said in a sad voice.

"I thought so. Have you two gotten into a fight? He seemed like such a nice boy and I'm so sorry your father had to scare him off." Ava shook her head.

"No, no we didn't fight. He left momma. He.. He moved away." Her mother frowned slightly, narrowing her eyes.

"Moved away?" She asked. "To where?"

"The next state over." Ava explained with a sigh. "He lives with his sister. She found a better job out there so they moved sometime last week. He said he would write to me, I don't know why he doesn't have a cellphone but I haven't heard from him yet."

"Oh I'm sure you will soon honey! It's only a matter of time. Oh they're probably really busy unpacking everything, settling into their new life. You'll hear from him soon."

"I hope so.." Ava said with a sigh.

"That's not all of it though is it honey. Something else is bothering you." Ava bit her bottom lip, not wanting to say anything. "Come on sweetheart. You can tell me anything."

"I know momma it's just.. I don't know.." Ava looked away from her mother nervously as the doorbell rang. "I'll go see who it is." Ava said, sliding the book off her lap and getting up from the couch. Her mother nodded as Ava headed out into the hall and down towards the door.

Peeking through the peephole, Ava found a nervous, dark haired boy standing on the porch. It was Calum. Surprised and a little outraged, thinking that he had lied about moving, Ava wrenched open the door. "Calum." She hissed, stepping out onto the porch and closing the door slightly behind her. "I thought you 'moved'."

"I lied." Calum replied immediately. "About a lot of things really but I want to make it up to you. I want to explain." He told her earnestly.

"Okay, go ahead." Calum shook his head.

"No.. No it would take too long. This is going to be a long conversation. Do you think you could come out with me? Somewhere quiet? Or maybe we could talk in your room." Ava shook her head.