Chapter 4. Trust.

*

“ Itachi-nii! Let’s play! Saying ‘No’ is not allowed! ” I said as I suddenly jumped infront of him.

He was in his usual spot on their house’s porch. Aunt Mikoto told us that it was Itachi-nii’s day off today. He usually tells us no when we ask him to play with us, saying that he still have mission to do.

“Yeah! Mother said it’s your day off so you have no excuses anymore!” Sasuke chimed in, jumping at his brother’s back.

Itachi-nii looked at the both of us and sighed.

“Is that a yes?!” Sasuke and I asked excitedly.

“What choice do I have?” He told us with a good-natured frown. “What do you guys want to play?”

“Hide and seek!” Sasuke shouted.

“You’re going to find us! Ninja Skills is not allowed! ” I told him over my back as we ran upstairs.

“Where do they get all that energy from?” Aunt Mikoto asked and shook her head as we passed by her.

“Nami-chan! Let’s hide here.” Sasuke whispered as he waved for me to come over. He went inside the cabinet as he gave the door we came in, one last look.

“Wait..” I told him as I put my ears against the door. I started to hear footsteps getting closer.

“He’s coming!” I whispered at him as we  closed the cabinet’s door where we are hiding from. It was pitch black inside. We clamped our hands on our mouth to avoid making sounds and the only thing I can hear is my heartbeat ringing to my ears.

The room’s door opened and closed and the footsteps came closer to the cabinet. The cabinet where we are hiding when it suddenly opened, we were both blinded by the sudden light shrouding us.

“Found you.” I heard Itachi-nii say.

*

I woke up as I felt a hand touched mine. I didn’t move. I didn’t open my eyes. To begin with, it felt so hard to open my eyes. It’s like it was glued close. There was an oxygen mask on my face and I was very thankful for it. It was helping me breath. I pretended that I was still asleep. No, unconscious. I don’t even know what I am doing here. Did something happen? Was the village attacked? It feels like there’s something.. something big happened.

The person removed his hand from mine and went outside the room. I tried to identify who the person was. But for some reason, I can’t. It was all fuzzy. There’s just this one person I can identify. Father.

"So it happened. That Itachi." I heard him say. It was barely a whisper but I clearly heard it. I hadn’t notice that the legō-fēlēs was activated until I heard my father whisper.

My heart literally skipped a beat as I remembered what happened. My memories that happened that night played like a movie inside my head. A movie that no matter what I do for it to go away, it will only show more hurtful things. Things that will never happen again. The warmth and happiness that welcomed me everytime I walk by the compound will never be there anymore. It will only be an abandoned place full of haunted memories. There will be no one that will greet me and throw jokes at me like Aunt Uruchi. There will be no one that will welcome me with a warm smile every time I go to their house like Aunt Mikoto. She was close to a Mother to me. And most of all, there will never be a kind, gentle and loving person that I always admired. The person who has a great love for his little brother. Itachi. I wonder if it was all an act? If all Itachi did, all that smiles.. Was all that true?

I didn’t notice that a tear escaped my eyes until someone wiped it.

“Nami. I know you’re awake now. You don’t have to pretend that you’re not.” Father told me.