Chapter 13. 'Jounin' Revealed and Preliminaries

"You're going to assemble downstairs. The Hokage will tell you guys something." Kakashi told us after I stopped hugging my teammates. 

"So the time is up already?" Sakura asked. 

"Yeah." Kakashi-sensei replied.

"Okay..let's go guys." Sasuke told us, walking towards the door. 

"Kakashi-sensei, Is Anko-sensei already there?" I asked him. 

"Not yet. She is talking with the Hokage. At the highest floor." He answered. 

"Okay.. You guys go first. I'm going to Grandpa-Hokage." I waved and ran away before they could stop me.

I knocked at the door and heard a muffled "Come in." I turned the doorknob and pushed the door open as it made a creaking sound. As I expected, Anko and Grandpa-Hokage were talking. Izumo and Kotetsu were there too.

"Hello Grandpa-Hokage, Hello Anko-sensei." I bowed. "Oh! Hello Kotetsu and Izumo." 

The Hokage gestured for me to come closer. "What are you doing here, Nami?"

"Orochimaru is here. We fought him." I looked at Anko. "He bit Sasuke and gave him the curse mark."

"We already know that, we are talking about it. I fought him, too." Anko told me holding out the spot where she has a curse-mark.

"Does it still hurt?" The Hokage asked her.

"No, It's gotten better. Thanks to you." She told the Hokage. 

"Isn't Orochimaru, one of the Sannins from Konoha? He's an S-class exiled ninja from the bingo book that even the Anbu couldn't deal with." Izumo said. 

"Yeah. He killed the Team Captain Kyo Koizumi when they tracked him." Kotetsu added, oblivious of my presence.

"Kotetsu!" Izumo shouted.

Kotetsu froze, looking at me. "Sorry, Nami." He apologized, rubbing the nape of his neck.

"No.. It's okay." I told him. 

As soon as I said that, a chuunin via tv told Anko that 22 genins passed and they will hold a preliminary exam for the first time and that they are waiting for them on the lowest floor. 

"Anko-sensei, when I quit the preliminary exam, it won't affect my team, right?" I asked. 

"Yeah. the third exam proctor will ask later if anyone wants to quit or if anyone is too tired to take the preliminary exam. But more importantly, Are you really an ANBU member? Lord Hokage told me earlier." Anko asked, an unbelievable look on her face.

"Part-time ANBU. " I corrected "But I became a Jonin when I was 9. Only Grandpa-Hokage and my late father knows about it."

"Anko, Kotetsu and Izumo. You three are the only one who knows that Nami is stronger than what you think. No one is to know about this. Alright?"

"Yes sir!" The three said in unison.

..

After some discussions, I decided to intervene.

"I will quit the preliminary exam later that you are planning." I told them. "Grandpa-Hokage.. I'm going to protect you from Orochimaru." I gave the Hokage a determined look.

"Really now, I'm the Hokage. I'm not just an old man who needs protection." The Hokage told me, patting my head. "You have an illness, correct?" He asked and I shrugged before nodding.

"I really can't believe that you still took this exam.. To think that you're already a Jounin." Anko murmured.

"I know.. I'm a part-time secret Anbu, Anko-sensei.They have no idea that I am stronger to what they  expect me to be. I want to protect my friends with all my power even if it means taking the Chuunin Exam again and again.. Protecting my friends.. I think that's my Ninja way.." I smiled.