10

Dr. Newman

I finished printing off paperwork in my office and slid them under the clamp on the clipboard.

We weren't able to save the baby.

Her stress levels would've killed it anyways. We were able to stop the bleeding and get her stabilized.

It's never easy to the family the news and more importantly the mother.

I took a deep breath and walked out my office and traveled to the recovery unit where Ramsey is. We're gonna remove the tubes from her throat and try to wake her up today. We let her rest yesterday since we put so much stress on her body, we wanted to give her a jump start on her recovery process.

The elevator slid open, revealing the ICU.

"Goodmorning doctor Newman". I smiled at the group of nurses.

"Goodmorning". I went to the far back of the floor and found her room.

I walked in quietly since she's sleep.

Both of my assistance were already there waiting for me.

I took a pair of latex gloves from the box by the sink, preparing to remove the tube. I hung my lab coat on the hook, revealing my green scrubs.

One of my assistance Jackie took the mechanical ventilation system out since it's the biggest. She laid it on the tray and stepped out the way.

I reached in her mouth and gently removed the endotracheal tube so I wouldn't damage her trachea. This process could cause major damage to her lungs.

I laid it on the medical tray once it was successfully removed.

"Kira can you hand me the flash light". She pulled it from the second tray and handed it to me.

I clicked it on and checked her throat, making sure I didn't damage her tongue or tonsils.

"Everything looks good. But of course we won't fully know till she wakes up". I removed the surgical tape from her eyelids and shifted the bed so she was in a sitting up position, but not to high since she's fresh out of surgery.

"Ramsey. It's Dr. Newman we need you to wake up for us". Her chest began to rise and fall on its own which is a good thing.

"Where am I?" She was very horse, which is what I expected.

"Your in a hospital. You were shot". Her eyes opened slightly.

"I don't remember that".

"That's normal. We're gonna bring your family in here. So they know your okay". Jackie rushed out the room to get them.

"How long have I been here?" She closed her eyes again.

"Almost a week but I need to ask you a few things for me is that okay?" She nodded.

"Okay good. I need you to open your eyes for me". I took the flashlight from my pocket. "I want you to follow the light with your eyes, okay?" I clicked it on and moved it slowly back and forth and she followed perfectly.

"Very good. Now how is your breathing on a scale of one to ten? One being very painful".

"A four". I nodded. "Kira. I need 40 milligrams of oxi".

She nodded and walked out, just as her family walked in.

Kira walked back in and put the medicine in Ramsey's IV.

"That should kick in soon". She nodded and closed her eyes.

I heard her mumble under her breath about the baby, but I pretended I didn't hear her.