Six

Jack's phone buzzes on the couch next to me and I can't help but peek and see who it is. He's in the bathroom, he'd never know. My heart sinks as the read the text message and I become confused, growing more anxious every second.

He exits the bathroom, drying off his hands by moving them around in the air. I want to mention this, but then he'd think I'm all insecure when I'm not. I just don't get why he'd lie to me.

"You told me you stopped talking to her." I say quietly, looking down at my knotted fingers.

Here I go again, being all disappointed and let down.

"Who?" Jack asks, his eyebrows furrowing at my tone.

I bite my top lip. God, he's going to think I'm so nosy when I just looked at his phone. I suck in a breath before replying.

"Brianna." I say and he immediately snatches his phone from the couch, eyeing it.

He sighs loudly, "I never said I'd stop talking to her. I said I stopped sleeping with her." He enunciates as if I were deaf.

I roll my eyes and lean my back against the couch, crossing my arms over my chest. He always succeeds when it comes to getting under my skin.

"Why were you going through my phone and why do you care anyway?" Jack asks me, putting his phone in his front pants pocket.

Geez, that sounded more rude than he probably intended it to. I don't know what to answer with. I'm obviously going to care about this because it's in the present, not the past.

And I care because that's the girl who broke us apart. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why I care.

"I just- I don't-" I stutter and then shake my head. "Never mind."

Jack crouches down in front of me, leaning forward and grabbing my face in between his rough hands. I feel like this awkward situation is just like the Auburn one and it's giving me a small headache already.

"I literally just told you that you mean the world to me. You don't have to worry about her." He assures me and I purse my lips, unsure. "I wouldn't even think of trying to mess things up with you right now, especially when I'm gaining your trust again."

"But you and her, you know." I shrug, not knowing how to end the sentence.

"That doesn't matter anymore."

My brain is jumbled and then it suddenly turns as blank as a sheet of paper as I press my lips against his, slowly. He's hesitant to kiss back, but once he realizes that I want to, he kisses back with so much force and passion.

Jack's hands move from the sides of my face and down to my waist, just placing them there. I bring my arms around his neck, running my fingers through the back of his hair. His tongue glides against my bottom lip and that's when I pull away.

"I'm sorry." I apologize, my breath all rigged and blotchy.

"Sorry for what?" He grins, catching his breath, too. "That was amazing. I was afraid to make the first move, because I didn't want you to think I was too forward, and now I'm so glad that you made the first move." He excitedly rambles, his minty breath hitting my face.

"Can't always depend on the guy to make the first move." I reply, biting my bottom lip.

"Did you like- I don't know- sleep with anyone in New York?" He nervously asks, standing up and scratching the back of his neck.

"No, I was too hung up on you." I lazily answer. "I tried to move on, but I couldn't." I shrug, pursing my lips. "But I was doing socially well. Did you?"

I have no idea why I even asked that. Of course he did. He slept with Brianna. I can't be jealous of that, but I am. We weren't even together. He quickly jumped at the first opportunity he had as a single guy.

"Maybe I fucked and fingered her once or twice." He hesitantly answers, dragging out the words to make him sound illiterate and non-understandable.

He replaces Brianna's name with 'her' even though we both know who he's talking about. My heart sinks down to my stomach for the second time today. I already knew this, why am I taking this in like it's shocking news? The fact that he actually admitted it sets me off.

"It meant nothing. Everything I did with her meant nothing." He emphasizes and I nod my head once; I believe him, I guess.

"That's something all guys say when they get caught, but okay." I shrug my shoulders. "Can we actually do something productive instead of just talking about life? I want to spend this hundred dollar bill that I have."

"Like I'm gonna let you buy your own things." He snorts. "What do you want?"

"I want some clothes. That's what I want." I chuckle. "I literally had to get rid of all my short clothing because New York is cold. I need some summer clothing for Cali."

"Then, I'll take you shopping, baby." Jack gives me a big smile.

My insides get those stupid butterflies as he calls be my the pet name I haven't heard in so long. I've missed it so much when he called me things like that. It makes me blush and my heart pump faster.

Deja vu. Throwback to when he brought me shopping the second day we were together. It would've been smart to leave a lot of my clothes here in California at my parents' house, but I'm dumb and brought it all with me. Only resulting in no space and having to donate them.

"I don't want you spending money on me." I shake my head and decline and reject his offer.

"It's not about you letting me. I am." Jack clarifies and I dramatically roll my eyes.

This shopping trip is going to be such a hassle.

{vote, comment, share}