Thirty Eight

School starts in about a week and I've successfully have been able to transfer over to UCLA. Not sure if Jack would've let me leave California to New York anyway. As if on cue, Jack bursts through the door.

He stumbles in, his blazer half hanging off his shoulders and the top part of his shirt unbuttoned. He looks like a mess, plus his hair is disheveled. He smiles right away when he spots me.

"Hey, baby."

My eyebrows pull together, "what happened?"

"Nothing." He shrugs. "Just an office party for me."

"And office party? Is that really appropriate?" I ask.

"I'm still young." He slurs. "I need to be able to have fun." He tells me.

I didn't say that he couldn't have fun, did I? But him being like this in the office must make him look very unprofessional.

"Whatever." I let go of the topic, crossing my arms over my chest. "There's food in the fridge if you want any."

"Aren't you gonna eat with me?" He tilts his head to the side and I fight the urge of helping him.

The smell of alcohol becomes more intense as he walks closer to me. Geez, he reeks.

"No." I immediately say, storming up the stairs.

"Camila," I hear him call after me. "You can't possibly be mad at me. We were just celebrating!"

And through those words, he sounds completely sober. This is only the first time, but I don't think I can let him come home like this ever again. I don't like him like this and I can't remember the last time we had an actual conversation.

"You're being over dramatic." Jack says as he follows me inside of the bedroom.

"No, I'm not." I bluntly reply. "If you were here more often, you would've known that I went to go talk to Sam again."

Jack's eyes harden, "I'm sorry that I have to make a living. All you do is sit on your lazy ass." He seethes.

"What?" I gape at him all wide eyed and astonished by his words. "Excuse me for not being all rich like you and actually needing to wait until college starts again."

"Find a summer or part time job or something!" He throws his hands up. "You complain that you're so lonely, but whose fault is that? You're the one that always stays in here.

"You were the one who told me before that I didn't need to work." I tell him.

"Now, I don't literally mean it. Maybe back then I did."

"Fuck you." I lower my voice, grabbing my bag and phone quickly, walking out of the room that I just went into.

I move my feet quickly and wherever it'll take me. As I'm walking, I rapidly look in my beg and remember that both of my car keys are upstairs. Fuck. Now I have to call someone to pick me up. I hate doing this.

As I continue to walk down the road of the gated community, I don't dare to look back. Jack is most likely not even following me anymore. I dial the person I can trust the most.

Johnson. I don't want to call Lyss because I'm not up for explaining everything to her. I know that if I contact Johnson, he won't ask any questions. He'll respect me and wait until I'm ready to rant.

"Hey, Cam." He says with lightness in his voice and I can tell he's happy.

When is he not?

"Hi, I hate asking you for this favor, but can you please come and get me? I left my car keys inside of the house." I say.

"Sure, where are you?"

I tell him that I'm on the corner near Jack's house. See, he didn't ask why I needed to be picked up. I thank him one last time and hang up the phone. The fall air getting chilly and hitting my sleeveless arms.

I stand here like an idiot for ten minutes and hear the engine of a familiar car. I look up at the sleek white car and the window rolls down. That's not Johnson's car. The brown rooted boy appears through the window. (BET YALL THOUGHT IT WAS JACK SIKE BOY)

"Sam?" I ask, confused.

"Johnson told me you needed a ride. Hop in." He tells me.

Without questioning him further, I get inside of the car, wanting to be as far as possible from Jack.

"I thought you hated me?" I say to him.

Sam shrugs his shoulder, "I'm trying to get over the fact that you and Jack are about to get married. I can't do anything to stop it now, can I?" He gives me a crooked, weak smile.

"Sam..." My words trail off.

"Where do you need a ride to, anyway?" He changed the topic.

"To your place maybe? Jack and I got into this stupid argument and I don't want to be there right now." I tell him and he just nods his head.

"Jack's so stupid." Sam mumbles, most likely thinking that I can't hear him.

But I can. Very clearly.

{vote, comment, share}

BEEF WITH JACK AND #SAMILA IS TOO REAL