Fifteen

I'm awoken in the middle of the night and feel around the bed. Jack's presence is missing. Curious, I sit up in Jack's bed, looking around like an idiot because it's completely pitch black.

I walk out of his room, scanning everywhere of this premises. In all of the rooms, down the halls and then, I move to the second floor and then first. As I reach the middle of the stairs to the first floor, I'm alarmed by a strong, pungent smell.

Jesus Christ, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't mean to take in a huge whiff, but I do on accident. The smell of marijuana.

My heart sinks into my stomach as the worst possibilities pop up in my head. It could just most likely be Nate visiting really late at night. I cringe and resume my walking.

My eyebrows pull together and the closer I get, the stronger the smell and the louder the voices become. I see the dim yellow light peek out from the 'theater room' and I try to see inside of it.

I inaudibly gasp when my vision and sight become clear. I name off all of the people I see in my head, when the hell did they all decide to just come here in the middle of the night and smoke. Also, when did Jack decide that he would let them?

Nate, Dominic, Jack, Johnson, Sam and two other boys I've never seen in to entire life. I hear Sam make a joke about something, causing all of them to laugh like idiots because they're as high as a kite.

The most confusing part about this is, why is Dominic here? I thought Jack didn't like him at all? How did they even get in touch... I'm also shocked to see Jack taking a hit from the fat blunt.

I recall him blatantly telling Nate that he doesn't smoke anymore, last year, but now he does? I wonder what's making him do this all over again. I don't really like people who smoke, but I guess it's whatever.

I'm not happy about it, but Jack's his own person and he makes his own decisions. I'm not gonna control him and tell him what to do. He wouldn't like me if I did that. Maybe Dylan is the only male angel I know.

"How much do I have to pay you for this, Nate?" I hear Jack's groggy voice, catching my attention to look back in the crack of the door.

"It's on me, man." Nate chuckles.

"Is my gram on you, too?" I hear Johnson.

"All of y'all's shit is on me." Nate replies, taking a huge puff.

I can't say that Nate's a bad influence. He smokes all of the time, and it's to the point where it doesn't even bother me when he does. There's many conversations going on at once in that room.

I just hope Jack doesn't say or do something that he's going to regret. I bite my bottom lip in disappointment, and waltz back upstairs, and squeeze my eyes shut at an attempt to fall back asleep.

*

Jack is sprawled out next to me and I feel gross with his hand hanging over my stomach. I don't want to be distant, but it seems like that's what I'm gonna be for a while.

I want to know if he's going to grow balls and tell me, or if I'm going to have to call him out on it sometime. I sit up in the bed, quickly removing myself from it and scurry into the bathroom to shower.

I scrub myself clean, letting the hot water cascade over my numb-feeling body. I'm overthinking everything. Jack's gonna tell me sometime... Right? It was so dumb for him to be smoking in the house in the first place. Well, while I'm here at least.

Once I'm done showering, I get out and wrap a clean, white towel around my hair and another around my body. I get out of the bathroom and am startled when I see Jack sitting at the edge of the bed.