Chapter 12

Asher POV

My heart broke when she refused to look at me. I needed to see those glittering gray eyes. I knew that I can not be forgiven for what I have done. It was my fault. Everything happening to her since we've met had been my fault.

When she exited the room, I felt some tears flow down my cheek. It felt like my heart has been ripped from my chest. The pain of being lost and neglected by your mate was heart-wrenching and I was barely hanging on by a thread.

I closed my eyes and clenched my jaw. My fists were balled tightly. I have royally screwed up. Violet will never give me a second chance. Damn it, Asher! How are you going to fix the problem now? If she acts like this about vampires, then just wait until she finds out about us being mates and her being future queen.

Violet POV

My heart was experiencing unbearable pain. I did not know that I was THAT much in love with Asher, but if it happens then it happens.

I've never felt this emotion before. This feeling of vacancy. My heart throbbed each time I thought of Asher. The way his chocolate eyes could capture me in a trance. How he could lure me into his arms and play me so easily. It was expected that I found out sooner or later. What was he thinking? Anger boiled inside me. He implied that I was ignorant. He wanted me to feel desperate and dependent. I will show Asher Sinclair that I am none of those things.

I needed to make a genius plan to escape this jail. I needed to make sure that I met with Aidan one last time before leaving. He was the only person that I could talk to at this moment, but talking to a five year-old would be pointless.  I groaned. My entire chest hurt, I didn't know what was going on. Take it easy Violet, you just recovered from an attack a few days ago. And now you're a vampire. A small voice echoed. I needed my mind away from these creatures.

The balcony seemed like a reasonable idea, there were vines running along the wall from ground to roof. Check. Wear all black. Check. Escape the guards patrolling the area. Check? I will observe how they roam the garden a couple hours before. I heaved a big breath. You can do it Violet, just believe in yourself. Compose a straight face and nobody will suspect anything.

I grabbed a cup of blood from the fridge and scurried back to my room. I was still not ready to face these people and I did not want to start now.

On the way back, I peeked into Aidan's room and saw that he was playing by himself. "Goodnight, Aidan. I hope to see you sometime again." I whispered in his ear. He just looked up at me with a bright smile. A tear was threatening to slide down from my puffy eyes. He may not remember me when he grows older, but I will definitely remember his beautiful self. I kissed his forehead then never looked back. This is going to be tough, but it had to be done.

I noticed myself gaining a bit of strength after drinking the blood. Blood. I just drank blood out of habit. Who am I?

I vowed to myself that I would never drink anything like this ever again. I would go back to the human lifestyle and I would continue going to school and living my life.

The time arrived when the castle was dead silent and guards were switching shifts. Now is the perfect chance. I tried to not look down below me when climbing down the vines. My heartbeat increased by the second. The faster you climb down, the faster you get it done with. I focused on my hands and how they grabbed vine after vine. It felt for eternity before feeling the firm ground beneath my feet.

I hurried to the hedges and caught a breath there. My heart was thumping so loudly that I could hear it in the silence of the night. I needed to walk through the woods briskly and get off this property. I snuck behind tree after tree, 'slow and steady' I kept mumbling to myself.

I would soon meet the walls and simply climb over it. I continued to make my way deeper into the woods when there was some rustling nearby. Silently cursing to myself, I froze and stared intensely in that direction.

Before I knew it, a figure jumped out at me and tackled me to the ground.