Chapter 15

Asher POV

I honestly did not know where I was going. I have never been this far away from the castle grounds before. My stare remained straight ahead. I was furious at Violet. I did not want to spare her a look. I was freezing cold and she was the one to blame. I had not known that there was water at the bottom of that cliff.

Glancing up, I saw Caleb and the other six guards looking over the cliff. I waved them off. I'll get back somehow. I looked down at the smaller woman and saw her shivering like crazy. It was tempting to wrap my arms around her, but I was supposed to be furious. Was she really THAT desperate to leave me? She could've just said so. Well she had, right after Caleb pounced on her. My heart throbbed. She said that she hated me. She was probably praying to be any other place but with me.

Well it's not my fault that the boundary alarms blared in the middle of the night. Caleb and I knew it was her, but we played along with the other guards. Now here we were, cold and alone in the middle of the night. I growled low enough for her to not hear, it's not safe out here. I could definitely fend for myself, but it's Violet that I am worried about. She is only a fledgling. I stopped on my tracks and waited for her to catch up in my long strides. I wanted to make sure that she stay by my side at all times.

She was really struggling to walk by my side. I continued forward until I heard her say 'wait'. I turned around and followed her down a different path.

There was smoke clouding above the trees. Please don't tell me that this is a scary witch house. I do not prefer to be fattened up. I tried to gain confidence and stood by her side as she knocked on the door.

Soon enough, there was an old gentleman who stood under the door frame. He was perfectly round and pudgy. He raised his eyebrows and waited for one of us to say something. I cleared my throat and asked if we could stay for the night. He moved to the side and bowed his head.

"Your majesty." He said. Violet and I stopped on our tracks, how did he know that I was the prince? How could the human world know of me? We observed him very closely. He seemed quite peculiar, I was sure whether to trust him or not.

He slammed the door behind us and walked through a dark room. I braced myself for the worst and stood in front of Violet, but the man reappeared through the door with a handful of pillows and blankets. Violet took them with a wide smile and thanked the man several times. He only nodded and retreated to his bedroom.

Violet and I settled down next to the fireplace. I would have to repay this fine gentleman somehow in the morning, I noted. Violet had her back to me when she fell asleep in a fetal position. Then out of habit, I grabbed her and placed her head on my lap. I wish we were always like this. Quiet and in peace, but instead, I had to be mates with a beautiful, stubborn lady. I guess that's what makes life interesting and fun.

I sighed and stroked her soft, silky-brown hair. Her lips were slightly parted and her eyelids were fluttering. Sleep well, my princess. I kissed her on the forehead and leaned back against the chair. I am determined to make this work between us; no matter how much she denies it or runs away, I will chase after her. After all, I do have to chase after my dreams.