Chapter 56

Violet POV 

I paced the main hall. The men should have been back by now. Where were they? I avoided thinking of any negativity. Nobody knew what happened in the past three days. I continued pacing until Jilly approached me with a worried look. She looked like she hadn't gotten any sleep as well. 

I pulled her in an embrace. "They're going to be okay." I whispered in her ear, when I was trying to convince myself. She sighed and pulled back with a sad look on her face. I wanted to ask what was wrong, but I already knew the answer. Everything felt wrong. The fact that our men are in the woods fighting for their lives and that we could not do anything, just made things ten times worse. We didn't know what to expect when they returned home. Would a horse come home without it's rider? 

I was sitting with my head rested on Jilly's shoulder when a servant came rushing up to us. He seemed out of breath by the time he reached the balcony. "Miss, the soldiers have arrived." My head perked up and I stood immediately. 

Jilly and I ran through the winding hallways. Why were they so long? I didn't know what to expect when I rounded the corner. A part of me didn't want to see and a part really wanted to be in Ash's arms again. I bit my lips anxiously.  

They didn't seem to be in the main hall, but the two front doors were wide open. My running slowed down to small baby steps. I glanced past the grand fountain. I looked at the men mounted on their horses. The smell of blood wafted into the castle like a swarm of bees. It was hard to tell whose blood it was, mainly because every guard carried an injury. I didn't see Ash, Caleb, or Cameron at the beginning of the herd. My heart began beating faster than anticipated. I held my breath. I couldn't swallow. There was a knot in my stomach. Where were they? Where was Ash? 

A hand shot to my mouth, while the other subconsciously covered my abdomen. I choked back a sob. The three men that I have been waiting for were at the back of the group. They all had an injury. A thick bandage was wrapped around their chests through the torn and shredded shirts. When they rounded the fountain, I bolted through the doors with tears streaming down my cheeks. I did not care. I wanted to be in Ash's arm. I wanted that sense of security again. I wanted to be sure that my baby was alright. 

He climbed off his horse and ran towards me. Pain clearly written on his face. We crashed into each other. I buried my sobbing face into his chest. I took in his scent. I wrapped my arms around his body. He was finally here with me. He wasn't a figment of my imagination. He pulled my shaking body closer. His face buried in the crook of my neck. 

"I'm here, angel. I'm here. It's going to be okay. Everything's going to be okay." He repeated in my ear. He pulled back and placed a finger under my chin so I could look up at him. "I missed you so much, Violet." His eyes searching mine. My vision blurred once again and I hugged him even tighter. It almost seemed surreal to finally have him within an arm's reach. 

I pulled back then looked straight at the bandage in front of me. I didn't dare look up at Ash; I was too concentrated on his injury. I wanted to heal it. I was very tempted to pick at the edges and peel it off. Ash grabbed my hand. That definitely brought my attention back to his soft, brown eyes. He gave a small smile and lifted his hand to peel the bandage himself. 

A tear slid down my cheek when I looked at the wound before me. It was a hole on the right side of his chest. I was in a trance, but traced the outer edge of it. He grunted quietly. The muscle beneath the injury was torn, but slowly mended itself. I felt his eyes boring into my soul, but I only focused my thoughts on healing. If I stood close to him, then he would get better. 

I looked up into his eyes and tiptoed for a gentle kiss on the lips. I tasted his savory blood on his lips. I felt his movements. I heard his heartbeat. His breathing synced with mine. 

Asher POV 

I just wanted Violet in my arms forever. I couldn't keep my eyes off her. She looked tired and worried, as if she hadn't had any sleep. I observed her every angle. I wanted to memorize her curves. 

She looked at me with saddened eyes after glancing at my wound. Her sweet kiss was the only thing that I needed to feel better, at this moment. I placed my head on top of hers as she snuggled closer to my chest and continued running her fingertips along the edge of my injury. 

I looked over to Caleb and Jillian. They were in each other's arms as well. Jillian was a crying mess. Caleb was brushing the hair from her face and kissed her forehead. He looked over to me and gave a nod in acknowledgment. I smiled back. We were home. Nothing can come between our happiness. 

Cameron was approaching from behind Violet. I pulled back and gave him a firm nod. He returned with one. Violet had a smile on her face and brought him in for a hug. "I'm so proud of you. You proved yourself to be one of the worthy soldiers." She whispered into his ears. I smiled. I was rather proud at Cameron as well. 

I patted him on the back and walked to Derek, who was standing not too far from Cameron. I squinted my eyes at him, even though he was looking else where. I wrapped my left arm around his shoulders and pulled him farther away, so nobody could eavesdrop. As soon as we got to the other side of the fountain, I let him go and raised an eyebrow at him. 

He averted his gaze from mine. Something was bugging me and I needed to know. "You are Cameron's mate, aren't you?" I wasted no time asking that question. He chuckled nervously but didn't answer. I tilted my head and watched how sweat began beading his forehead. "There's nothing to be ashamed of. Love is love. You can't deny it." I pushed on. He shifted on his feet, but stared at the water behind me. I sighed and patted his shoulder. "Congratulations, man. Cameron is a great guy, but he really is something." I gave a small smile before walking back to Violet's side. 

Jillian and her were chatting with Caleb and Cameron. Derek and I joined them not shortly after. Violet gave a look at demanded answers. Later, angel. I told her. Her face lit up and she blew me a kiss. I rolled my eyes. I am reunited with the child of my dreams. 

A/N: Why hello, beauties! How are you? XD

As mentioned in the last author's note, there will probably only be one more chapter/ epilogue. That'll wrap this story up in time for the holidays!

Have a good one and I'll see you all later! :) 

~Kitty xoxo