Chapter 49

Asher POV

On my way to the office, Aidan ran up to me with a bright smile. I smiled as well and scooped him up in my arms. "How are you, buddy?" I asked through his giggles. He was squirming in my arms and laughing very loudly. 

"Ashy! Ashy, play with me!" He pouted with the biggest and cutest brown puppy dog eyes. I couldn't resist so I laughed along and walked the both of us to the secret canopy. The paperwork could wait for later. 

His smile didn't falter when he met my surprise. He climbed on top of the swing and I started pushing.  We were in comfortable silence when a yellow butterfly flew gracefully to the fountain. It landed on top of the statue resting next to the water flow. 

Aidan hopped off and skipped to the majestic Monarch butterfly. He giggled and reached his hand out. "Daddy! Daddy!" He was jumping around with the butterfly resting on his hand. His laughs continued to ring out. 

I froze on the spot and stared at Aidan with wide eyes. The blood probably flowed from my face. What did he mean by 'daddy'? I was very puzzled, but I did not dared to ask. I continued staring at him and the butterfly with my eyebrows furrowed. 

I sat down at the fountain then pulled him on my lap. The butterfly was now sitting on the swing with its wings fluttering. It's now or never. I took a deep breath and braced myself for the worst. How would Aidan feel about me afterwards? I did not want to loose the love of such a special person. I loved him with all my heart. He had me wrapped around his little finger. I would do anything for him, but to know that he would never trust or talk to you again? My world would crash. 

"Aidan." I exclaimed hesitantly. How was I going to tell a five year-old that he no longer had a father? I didn't know how to even initiate the conversation. I couldn't make eye contact to his round brown ones. They glittered in the sunlight, shining through the leaf canopy. I bit my lip and thought of every word carefully. "Daddy is no longer here with us." I held my breath. Would he start crying, or 'explode'? Anything could happen. 

He only shook his head furiously. I closed my eyes and nodded slowly in return. "Yes, Aidan." He started fighting out of my grasp, I held his hand from fighting back. "Listen to me." I used my authoritative voice- which I never used on him. He looked frightened. He refused to believe me. He probably thought that I had lost my mind; but, I didn't know what overcame me, even I was shocked with my sudden burst. I sat back and watched him closely. He looked very close to tears. 

"But Daddy is right there." He pointed to the butterfly. He looked hopeless. It was almost impossible to tell a child that their parent had been ripped away from his life. His lips began quivering and I continued to look into the brown eyes that seemed glossy and lost. I closed my eyes once more and  sighed in frustration. 

"That is just your imagination, baby. Please believe me when I say that he's gone. He is gone. He had left us." And it was all my fault. Somewhere at the back of my mind, I knew the truth. It was all my doing to defeat the alpha, but kill my father. My eyes bored into his small head. He was staring at the ground. I could tell that he was crying due to his trembling body. I pulled him in an embrace. He did not bother to fight back. 

It wasn't until the butterfly landed on the top of his head when he finally looked up. His eyes were very much red and puffy, but he refused to look or even speak to me. I accepted it. I had crushed one of this little boy's dreams. 

We both watched the butterfly closely. It landed on a leaf, flapped one wing, then departed through a small slight in the leaves. "Daddy said goodbye." Aidan whispered, still staring out the partial opening. Did he say that to me, or to himself?  

I choked back a sob and let the tears silently fall down my cheeks. The guilt weighed my soul. It felt like I was trudging in tar. If it wasn't for Aidan with me right now, then I would've been lost and empty. It would've felt like an endless abyss; and that there was no gravity at all, just me floating about in space. 

I finally looked at Aidan. He was still staring at the ground with a slight trembling body. I pulled him in for one last hug then pulled back to look into his eyes. I kissed his forehead. "I promise that I will always protect you, no matter what. I love you so much, Aidan. You are my precious baby." I stared into his eyes, waiting for an answer. Anything in response. He finally gave a small smile in return. I let out a sigh of relief. I felt so grateful and warm when he wrapped his little arms around my neck. I pulled him as closely as I could. 

"I love you too, Ashy." He whispered into my ear. 

Violet POV 

I was standing in the kitchen with Jilly discussing about her relationship with Caleb when Aidan and Ash walked through the door hand-in-hand. They wore small smiles. I gave one back. "How has your day been, boys?" I asked. They both shrugged. 

"Aidan was getting tired, so I'll take him to his room. I'll see you in a bit." Ash replied. I nodded then waved at Aidan. He gave a warm smile. 

I faced Jilly once the guys were out of the room. I wiggled my eyebrows and waited for an answer. I was not going to let her dodge my question. She rolled her eyes in an exaggerated manner. I stood with my hand on my hip and a raised eyebrow. I wanted answers. Now. 

"Fine, dragon lady." She paused to send me a death glare. "Caleb was the one who started getting hot." She started then eyed me. I gestured for her to continue. "It started out as a kiss, then he threw me on the bed. Who knew he could be so strong. Then one thing led to another and now we are officially mates." She ended with an innocent smile. Short and sweet. I growled and looked at her with squinted eyes. 

"What happened? Did it hurt being changed? How about the connection you have with your mate?" I couldn't resist from asking these questions. She rolled her eyes again. 

"Yes, it hurt. It's like sex. You seal the deal, but the pain only lasts for a short time then pleasure. And the connection is a-maz-ing!" She squealed in her chair. I smirked, but choked on air. Last time we talked, she was still a virgin. How did she know that sex hurt at first then it's all pleasure from there? 

I couldn't wipe that smirk off my face. She was shifting uncomfortably under my gaze. I finally wiggled my eyebrows. "So sex, eh?" Her cheeks blushed instantly. I had her under my fingernail now. She couldn't deny anything. I shrugged. "No biggie. I know how you feel." I reassured her. She had let out a sigh of relief. I laughed at her stiffness. 

She was like a little girl being caught with her hand in the cookie jar. I knew she still had that little school girl attitude in her. If Caleb was treating her the way Ash was to me, then I am not blaming her for being so bubbly and happy. Speak of the devil, Ash rounded the corner.

The two of us watched him very closely as he grabbed a glass of blood. He froze as soon as he spun around. "What?" He asked. We were looking at him like he had two heads. Why? I have no idea. Our silence was only adding suspense, so he gave us one last weird look then bolted out the door. I smirked in satisfaction. It was fun toying with our men. They would always suspect that they did something wrong. Maybe it's a fair warning to never mess with us. 

Jilly was stuck in a trance until I finally had to snap my fingers in front of her. She jumped in her seat. I frowned at her. She had been acting so weird. Maybe she's daydreaming about her night experience with Caleb. I chuckled at the thought. The oh-so-innocent Jilly is not so innocent now. I've never seen this side of her, and admittedly, I think it's cute how lovey-dovey she is. 

A/N: Omg two chapters in a day! It's like a throwback Thursday...except it isn't? Lol never mind. It's a Monday. Hope you guys had a good weekend. Enjoy this bonus chapter. :) 

~Kitty xoxo