Chapter 17

Asher POV

The walk back to the castle was quiet but pleasuring. We had the chance to watch the sunrise as we strolled hand-in-hand.

When we approached the castle, the gates were open and there were double the amount of guards. They ran to us once we came into the clearing. I protectively stood in front of Violet.

"Your majesty. We have been looking for you." Caleb said. His hair looked like it was brushed through a million times. There seemed to be dark bags under several other guards. I straightened my stance, then cleared my throat.

"Violet and I send our apologies. All the guards who had longer shifts can be dismissed for rest." I stated. Almost all guards left, besides Caleb and a couple others.

"You're in huge trouble. I hope the both of you have some explanation for the king and queen." Caleb said in a hushed voice. He cautiously eyed the two guards standing behind us from afar. I huffed a breath. I knew that father would be a bit stressed, but I was mainly preparing myself for another earful of mother.

Once we stepped foot into the study where Father sat and Mother paced, their heads snapped towards the two of us. 'Uh oh.' I heard the whisper from Violet. I sighed and sat down.

"Asher Sinclair! Do you know how worried sick your father and I were? Have you got any idea how much trouble you caused in the kingdom? The people are demanding as to why their future king has not been doing his job." Her cold gaze slowly turned to Violet. "And now I know why." Violet cowered in the couch.

I stood and faced Mother. "Mother, she is my mate. She will be the future queen. Whether you like it or not, you just have to accept it. It is your fault for everything that has happened since last night." I was fed up with her harassing, someone had to stop her, but father is too kind. I bless him for that.

"If you had known what kind of person Violet is, then you wouldn't have caused this much trouble to try and barricade our love." Mother stood before me with her mouth open. She then bowed her head and took a step back. Father gave me a slight nod in approval and adoration. I reached for Violet's hand and walked outside.

I let go of the breath that I have been holding in. Violet looked at me in wonder; she had a big smile. "Thank you for defending me. I'm very glad that you don't see me as a basic human." She told me, then stood on her tippy-toes to peck a kiss on my cheek.

"Anything for you, darling." I smirked with a wink. She rolled her eyes, 'stupid'. I heard her mumble. I chuckled and pulled her in for a tight hug. It felt like tons of weight have lifted from my chest now that Violet and I have made amends.