Chapter 42

Violet POV

Cam requested to return home a couple days after the king's death. He knew that his older sister would worry of his absence, and the tension in the castle was very much evident. He had overstayed his welcome. Jilly had no other choice but to remain behind these walls. Though, Asher made sure that a guard was to keep an eye on Cameron for his safety, whether he desired it or not. 

The vampire kingdom demanded that the heir to the throne begin to do his obligations as king. He has the right to declare or to not declare. Although, the queen had not authorized anything, her sadness had consumed her and she dare not face anybody for the time being. 

I sat across the desk from where Ash sat, in his Father's old study. I observed how he worked and just how he felt about everything. He kept sighing and running his hand through his hair. His heart would beat faster at some times and he would grow in frustration. The stack of papers beside him would not go down, it only seemed to grow higher. All of this was overwhelming, even I was slightly overwhelmed from simply sitting here. I could feel the weight in the air. I took a deep breath and walked to his side. 

He looked up at me with a monotone brown shade of eyes. He smiled slightly, but that didn't quite reach his eyes. I gave a small smile and kissed him on the forehead. "If you need any help, I will always be here. I'm going to see Aidan." I paused and looked at the paperwork. "You still have to tell him about the news, Ash." He turned away and closed his eyes. One nod told me that he dreaded for the day that Aidan knew of the news. 

He reached for my hand and placed a light kiss on my knuckles. "I'm sorry for neglecting you and Aidan for the past two days. I will make it up to you, Angel." He kissed my hand once again. I took this as a sign of my departing, so I left the room without another word, whilst his gaze was following my every step out the door. 

It was sweet to find someone so happy and bright on such a gloomy week. Little Aidan brightened my day almost immediately. We seemed to have played for hours on end. We also walked through the castle and offered help for other maids. It was adorable to see him carry an oversized pillow up the stairs and into a guest room. 

Soon enough, he begged me to make a fort out of pillows and bed sheets. I laughed then crafted a very lame one. Aidan loved it though. While we were in there, there was storytelling and we also had some snacks until the moon shined through the window. Aidan yawned and fell asleep with his head rested on my lap. I gazed down at his precious little being and stroked his luscious brown hair. "Your hair is softer than Ash's. You inherited the brown locks from both your parents." I mumbled, but froze. His father. How would he react? Such an innocent, young child to yet find out that he will never see his father again. My eyes closed. I knew exactly how he felt. I pleaded that he not suffer from the pain and throbbing of the heart. He did not deserve to feel this heartbreak, not yet anyway. 

The sun shined on my face when Ash shook my shoulder. I was slumped in my position with Aidan's head still resting in the same place. He lifted Aidan into his arms. The little boy startled awake then rested his head back on Ash's shoulder with a yawn. "How about we do something fun today, buddy?" Ash said. 

A smile stretched across his face and reached his eyes. I haven't seen him this happy since his father's passing. I stood up in an instant and smiled widely too. His warmth and happiness wrapped my heart in a bundle of love and joy. Aidan simply giggled and nodded his head up and down with a bright toothless smile.

Ash took us to the corner of the premises, a place where I never thought existed. There was a huge leaf canopy covering a fountain and swing set. I stared at this magical place in awe. "This place is beautiful." I finally said. Ash chuckled a bit and began pushing Aidan on the swing.