Chapter 53

Asher POV

Her face glistened in the moonlight, streaming through the window. I left the curtains open for this reason. I stroked her cheeks gently. She smiled against my touch. How could I be so lucky to be with someone so beautiful, inside and out? Her thick, red lips stood out in the night against the black monotonous scenery throughout. I resisted a strong temptation to kiss them. Her breathing was soft and rhythmic. Her heartbeat synced with mine. 

Her dark hair fell in a wavy waterfall past her shoulders. The plain tank top and shorts that she wore hugged her body just perfectly; she looked very adorable in them. I brushed a tendril of hair away from her face. She let out a deep breath. My hand was frozen midair and I was waiting to see those gorgeous, gray eyes. 

I sighed and turn over so my back was to her. Ever since she had entered my life, her charm had shined light upon, but also many darknesses. Thinking about the negatives would not allow me to get any sleep. How could I clear my mind? Fresh air, maybe. Caleb was probably asleep. Only a few guards would be patrolling the area at the time of night. I sat up then tiptoed across the room and closed the doors softly behind me. 

I walked to the garage and chose a random car key. Picking one of my favorites, I climbed into the black Porsche Panamera. The engine roared to life and I pulled out. The guards let me out without issue and I sped down the dirt road. Hopefully, I would make it back in time before Violet wakes up.

I came to a stop at a red light on the edge of the city. It was eerie with the lack of people, but city lights illuminated and shined through the car windows. I sped off as soon as the light turned green. Buildings and streetlights passed by me in a blur. My mind was buzzing with flashbacks of any violent encounter that I've had since Violet came into my life. 

"Finish him, son! Tell your mother that I love her. Be the great king that I know you'll be!"

"You will never get your hands on Violet. Her blood is mine." Xavier's voice hissed into my ear. His ice cold breath trailing down my ear. Chills went down my spine when the image of his head was rolling around my feet.

"You will always be a werewolf." His snickers' fill the air. The touch of his fur was under my skin. 

"Violet can stay with me." Her vile voice rang in the main hall. The devious smirk was not wiped from her face when she vanished into thin air. Her menacing laugh echoed in my mind. 

Their shouts filled my mind, nothing more. My hand clenched the steering wheel even tighter, while the other hand was held in a fist with the nails digging into the inside of my palm. 

I was the reason father died. If I didn't think selfishly and waited until he released father, then none of this would've happened. I was the reason Violet was taken away. I was the reason why her dad showed up. The flashes of Violet screaming out my name and falling to her knees filled my mind. The pain, the oblivion that followed was unbearable. I remembered the deep and dark abyss that I was in. The endless cycle just continued on, but I did not give up. I had to get back to Violet. I needed her. I loved her too much to let our love go. 

My heartbeat began beating faster and louder to the point where my chest was pounding. Thunder sounded in the distance and rain began pouring down. Running a hand through my hair, I sighed and took a couple deep breaths. Everything was going to be alright. After Ethan, there would be nobody else standing in our way of the future. 

My mind buzzed at any other possible threats to my relationship with the people around me. There was no one else. Ethan is the only person who stood between Violet and I. After defeating him, I planned to seal my desires with her.