Chapter 51

Caleb POV

I slammed on the brakes. I knew the damage was done when the car rammed into his body. He flew several yards ahead. Thank God Jill had her seatbelt on or else she would've went through the windshield. Her eyes snapped open and she looked very much in alarm, maybe not as panicked as I was. I got out of the car immediately and bolted to his side. His heartbeat was decreasing and he was barely breathing. His eyes were shut and there was blood everywhere. 

My hands were shaking. Oh God. Please tell me that he's going to be alright. I did not want to be the suspect of Cameron's death. He was Jill and Violet's best friend. They would never forgive me. I applied pressure onto his chest, where most of his cuts were. The condensation from his breathing was fading into more shallow breaths. I looked up to see Jill with a hand over her mouth. She stood not too far away, but a hand was covering her abdomen. 

"Jill! Get in the back and hold him. We need to hurry to the castle." I scooped him up and made sure that none of my movements would harm his wounds even more. His blood was seeping through my shirt. Jill's breathing was uneven. I needed to concentrate and hurry home. I sped off and didn't look away from the road for a second.

"We need a medic!" My voice echoed through the dark and quiet hallways. Oh hell. I lifted Cameron over my shoulder and ran to the infirmary myself. I placed him down on a bed and ripped his shirt down the middle. 

There were deep gashes that didn't look like they came from the car. They were peculiar. Without a second thought, I placed my hands over his wounds then applied pressure again to prevent any more blood from spewing out. My hands were stained with his blood and they were still shaking. 

"Stay with me, Cameron." I whispered hoping that he had heard my plead. 

Jill was in tears when I stood there with blood everywhere. Wherever I turned, there was blood. The table and the floor was either covered with drops of blood or splattered with puddles of it. Cameron looked limp and pale on the hospital bed. His chest was barely rising and I knew that he was fighting against the pain. I didn't know what else to do. 

A doctor rushed in and examined him immediately. I stood back and observed her closely. Adrenaline was pumping through my body. I could not calm down. What if he didn't make it? I would be the murderer. I would never bring myself to forgiveness. I anxiously bit my lip as I watched the doctor reach for the sutures and needle. 

There were four bloody lines running from his chest to abdomen. The stitches were in place, but his heartbeat was still decreasing very slowly. 

"Turning him into a vampire is the only option we have." The doctor mumbled. I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. 

"He would have to be bitten by someone he doesn't know." I exclaimed and ran to the guards' quarters. Many men were sitting and playing a game of cards. Others were chatting about sword fighting. They all stopped when they spotted me in the doorway, probably looking like a mess. Soon enough, questions were urgently shot my way. My vision blurred and my mind was working in hyper speed.

"Who doesn't mind some fresh blood?" The urgency in my voice was evident. Many raised their hands, taking note of my distress. "And who doesn't mind Cameron." I added. The majority of the guys put their hands down. Feeling despair, I did another sweep through the crowd of guards. My face lit up. "Derek!" I nodded towards the door and he followed without any objections. 

"He needs to be a vampire." I started. Derek nodded in understanding and bent down. From the look on his face, he seemed to be focusing on Cameron's heartbeat. It was obvious to see that he's never bitten anyone before.