Chapter 55

Asher POV

The winds blew violently. The rain crashed down on us. Our horses continued pushing forwards. We rode all day and night. Our destination was just a half mile away. Civilization around us was thickening each mile. Ethan needed to be stopped immediately or else more innocent people in this town would be hurt, or be faced with death.

We arrived in the vacant, eerie town at twilight. Our heavy breathing cast a condensation in the air. Most village lights were out. There was a dog in the background barking and metal lanterns screeching, but no other noises were made. This village was still living in the quaint, olden days; in which I respected, but there wasn't anybody in sight, not even one person.

We all listened carefully for signs of life. Any heartbeat. Anything. Nothing sounded.

The guards and I dismounted our horses cautiously. I had a strange gut feeling. My eyebrows were furrowed and I heightened all my senses. The vines climbing up the walls of homes and buildings meant that this place was abandoned, but what about the lanterns? They were lit.

Shadows danced on the ground and walls as guards dispersed and covered more land area. Cameron, Derek, Caleb and I stuck together and investigated the first building. We were all prepared to fight. As soon as we stepped foot into the barren household, we knew it was a trap. The interior looked like it hasn't been touched for ages, due to the dust buildup. Ethan had set us up.

As soon as that thought had entered my mind, a yell came from across the minuscule town. We bolted through the door, but soon stopped on our tracks as the premise was surrounded by dozens of werewolves. Their mouths were dripping of blood and their eyes spoke of pure redness.

There was a particular werewolf that caught my attention. His scent was familiar. Ethan. His red eyes were directly pointed at me. Their battle line was parallel to the vampires'. He snarled and howled. Both sides charged toward each other.

The four of us trained our eyes on Ethan. He was cowering behind the stronger werewolves. He would not last a second without his defense. I hissed but paced back and forth. We could hold out for as long as we could for his defense to fade. 

I was right. One by one. A piece of his shield ran off to attack a vampire. They would not stand still while fellow wolves were getting demolished. When the defensemen ran away from their leader, we sprinted towards him. Now is the perfect time. 

We sprung onto him with our fangs drawn. I bit down. I ripped. I clawed. Anything possible. His golden fur was decorated with blotches of blood. He roared and threw all of us off. We crouched near him in quick recovery and threatened for another group attack. We had him surrounded, but his wounds seemed to be healing faster than the average werewolf. How was that possible? I had definitely underestimated his strength. 

Cameron bolted first. He made it onto his back. He slashed and made many more deep cuts. He was about to bite down when he was gripped around the neck. The werewolf raised him high up in the air.  Derek hissed and his eyes spoke of danger. He ran with full speed into Ethan's arm, making him release Cameron. He landed on the floor with a thud but stood on his feet soon after. We proceeded on circling him. If he targeted someone, then the other three would come to aid the victim. 

Derek flashed onto Ethan's back and bit down his neck. He missed the artery by a couple of inches. He was grabbed by the hem of his shirt and was thrown many yards away. Caleb and I ganged up on Ethan then aimed at the throat as well. It was Caleb who got a secure bite. 

Blood spewed everywhere. The gold was turning to a rich color of red. Everything was happening so quickly. Ethan thrashed in pain and anger. His arm slammed clumsily into Cameron's chest, resulting in the man to go airborne and crash into a tree. His screams rang out as his back snapped in the loud battle field. Derek was clawed along the back and thrown to the side. I wanted to rush to both men's sides but Ethan was out-of-control.