Chapter 46

Asher POV

Caleb rounded a couple guards to help him situate the fledglings in their new home. His stance gave him away, but only because I've known him for almost all my life. His back was as straight as a beam and he wore his masked look. No emotions flashed through his eyes and he used his authorative voice. I dismissed it since I knew where it was coming from. I should've been keeping a guard up as well, but I fear that Violet's mother might not appreciate it. Hopefully she would understand. 

"Always stay on high alert, especially the older ones." I whispered into his ear when he was about to leave. He nodded firmly. I finally turned to Violet and a tight smile. I grabbed her hand, while she grabbed her Mother's. We walked in a chain to the nearest seating area. 

"Tell me what happened at their base." I demanded while glaring my eyes into Violet's gray ones. 

I have been in need of answers ever since Caleb had returned to the balcony the night before. Not too long after Violet excused herself, Caleb had to dismiss himself from the seating. That raised suspicions and I was about to demand answers, but Jillian had told me that it was probably no big deal. 

It wasn't until sunrise when I began worrying myself a lot. If I had to fight Caleb for answers, then I would. My patience ran thin and I did not sleep a wink. Violet had her mind blocked, which worried me even more. I was furious that everyone seemed to be avoiding me, not until Violet emerged from the wood lines and approached the wrought-iron gates. I have never felt so relieved in my life. My heart did a painful throb and all I could think of was what could've actually happened to her. What if she never came back from the enemy? 

I flicked my gaze from the floor to the reunited family beside me. I offered a warm smile to her mother and continued on listening to the long story. I had all the time in the world now that I have Violet safe in my arms. 

After concluding the story of defeating her grandmother, I admired the woman beside me in awe. She reminded me how I defeated her father. It would take great bravery and courage to do such a thing and I felt proud of Violet in defeating her bloodline. I pictured an old lady on the ground in pieces and grimaced at the thought. I made a final thought to never get on her bad side. 

She wiggled her eyebrows as soon as she had heard my thoughts. I chuckled nervously. Meanwhile, her mother sat silently and admired our connection through telepathy. 

"Are you hungry, Mrs. Skye? Would you like a tour?" I asked curiously. She was a shy woman and I wanted to make her feel as welcome as possible. She nodded to both questions. 

Violet and I shared a glass of blood while she enjoyed the basket of fruits. She would only nod or shake her head. Strange. Why was she not talking? I only noticed that Violet would talk for her. 

Her mother needed rest afterward, so we took her to a room near Violet's personal one. We shall do the tour sometime later. She only smiled and had tears in her eyes when we excused ourselves for her to settle in. 

Violet and I walked hand-in-hand down the hallways when we ran into the queen. We bowed our heads briefly. Mother seemed to only rest her eyes on Violet. 

"I heard that you've reunited with your mother, dear." She paused and gave a smile. "I'm very glad that she is alright. I hope she is settling in just fine. Please tell her to make herself feel at home." She gave a small smile then walked off in the direction of Aidan's room. 

Caleb was assigning the kids into their rooms when the both of us approached him. A young blonde girl waved at Violet then walked up to her with a bright smile. "Miss, what you did back there to the old lady was awesome. Thank you." She smiled again then skipped back to a split image of herself, only with much shorter hair. I guess that's her twin brother. She gave a small smile our way when Caleb escorted them to their room.