Chapter 38

Asher POV

The drive home was as awkward at it could get. I could not spot whether there was tension of not, but the air felt thick. Nobody spoke until we pulled up to the gates. "Welcome back, your majesty." A guard bowed his head then looked into the back seat to find a very shocked Cameron and Jillian. "They're fine to cross through?" He whispered, I only nodded briefly. He bowed his head once more and signaled for the opening of the gates. 

"Violet and Ash, you two have a lot of explaining to do." Cameron said through clenched teeth. Violet cringed and sunk into her seat a bit more. I gave her a sympathetic look. She did not ask for any of this to happen. It was none of her intention to start drama. I just hope that I can trust Cameron and Jillian enough to keep the vampire news a secret. I bit my lip in anticipation while sensing nervousness rise inside of Violet. Hopefully, their friendship is not damage in any way.

I grabbed her hand after rounding the front of the car. It was slightly sweaty and I knew exactly why. It was difficult telling humans about vampires, and we have not done so for the past century until recently. Then I met Violet and all rules were altered. Hell, I went through the experience myself. It hurt when she rejected me, but thanks to my stubborn personality, here we are. I smiled slightly to reassure her of any worries. There was no doubt in having someone you love by your side. I owe it to Violet, she needs me now, this was the least I could do. 

I snapped out of my thoughts and snapped my head to Cameron, who started speaking. "Okay, what other surprises do you have up your sleeves? Why did that man call you 'your majesty' and why do you live in a fucking castle?" His frustration was clearly evident and I don't blame him. I would be too if I found out that my missing best friend has been living in a castle with a royal. I remained silent. It was Violet's job to tell her friends and I vowed to only interject when necessary. 

I averted my gaze to Jillian, but she just stood and stared at the glossy floor. She was either abashed or simply frustrated as well. Violet didn't say anything, but gestured them for them to follow. Unlucky for us, we met with Mother and Father. They were walking down the main hall when Cameron and Jillian appeared through the doorway. 

Cameron's eyes grew big and Violet sucked in a lot of air. I closed my eyes briefly in hopes that Mother and Father did not question me at this moment. The bubbly boy rushed to them and formally bowed and offered to shake their hands. They just stood with slight wide eyes as well and modestly nodded back. They sent a death glare at me for being responsible for having humans behind these walls. I was bracing myself for a lecture from Mother again. 

I walked up to them, still holding hands with Violet. "Asher, explain this instant." Mother's voice seemed harsh and dark. 

I kept my voice low and whispered into her ear, "It's all my fault. Please be kind to these guests. Violet trusts them very much. They're like a family. There's a lot of explaining to do, but they will be sent home soon enough. For the time being, they need a place to stay and settle down for a bit, maybe adjust to the recent events." When I took a step back, an eyebrow was raised on her face. She needed more information; curiosity was killing her, but she held back the rapid-fire questions. 

She placed her hands on Father's crossed arms then walked out of the hall without another word. I let out a long sigh. We just need to babysit Cameron and Jillian until the chaos dies down.

In Violet's bedroom, the four of us sat in a circle of chairs, next to the window. It has been about an hour since we've encountered Mother and Father. Jillian has been very quiet and understanding about vampires, whilst Cameron jumped and screamed. I mean blood isn't that bad, it's delicious. 

The door barged open. Caleb came strutting into the room with a very knowing smirk on his face, but froze on the spot when he spotted humans sitting with us. He was about to backtrack, but I smirked and raised my voice. 

"Cameron and Jillian, this is the very amazing, Caleb. He helped Violet settle down." I was having too much fun with this. It felt like a circus ring where I was presenting the next act. He was sending death glares my way, but I pretended to not see it. I chuckled and pulled him down to join our circle. He landed on the chair with a thud. Who knows what he was mumbling beneath his breath. I patted his shoulder with a bright smile. 

"And you're a royal pain in the ass." He whispered so Violet and I were the only ones to hear. I still had the cheesy smile on my face and smirked at him. He is definitely going to love me even more. 

Much time had passed and Caleb finally gotten out of his comfort zone. Violet and I noticed him squirming on the spot due to Cameron's occasionally I want to fuck you, you're so hot face, but I think the big baby has gotten used to it. I also took note that Jillian has not looked at Caleb once since he has entered the room. She looked everywhere else but him. How peculiar. 

Violet stood to take a stretch. "Anyone want to join us for a walk in the garden?" Everyone stood, but didn't say anything. "Well, you know where we are if you want to find us." She grabbed my hand then walked towards the door. A good stroll in the late night garden doesn't seem to bad, if it meant that I could spend more time with Violet. 

"I might wander around this castle for a bit, sleep in here soon. I'm pretty tired." Cameron spoke up. I looked at Caleb and Jillian with a raised eyebrow. They both didn't say a thing. Right, I'll just let them be. They were both being super awkward. Maybe they'll become best-awkward friends. That seems like the most valid option. I smirked then wiggled my eyebrows at the two. Caleb chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck nervously. Nervous? When was he ever nervous? 

The night air felt light and slightly cold. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders after a shiver came from her. She took a deep breath and turned so she was facing me with the most beautiful smile. The slight sound of a water fountain was in the background. I brushed a strand of hair behind her ear and I pulled her in for a big bear hug. "I love you, Violet." I whispered into her ear. She responded with a tighter hug. 

We stood together in the moonlight for what seemed like forever, before she pulled back then yawned. I chuckled. "Shall we go inside?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. She nodded with a small smile. 

On the way inside, I took note how her fingertips brushed along the surface of the pink petals. A smile emerged from her once again. I observed how her pink lips had slightly parted and her heartbeat had settled a bit. I chuckled and proceeded to watch her until she looked up at me with glittering gray eyes. I chuckled and put her hand in mine. It was getting cold and late. 

"Goodnight, angel." I whispered in Violet's ear as we snuggled together. Her back was pressed against my bare chest. I wrapped my arms around her and took in her body warmth. I breathed on her shoulder slightly, making a shiver travel down her spine. "Sweet dreams, love." I kissed her shoulder then laid back and wrapped my arms tighter around her. 

A/N: Hello lovelies! I wrote this a while back, then realized how bad it was, so it took me a while to edit. I apologize if it's still bad after this edit, I really tried. I also tried to make this chapter longer, but anyways I hope your day has been great. 

Don't forget to comment and vote! Anything works! Thank you once again. (:

~Kitty xoxo