Chapter 39

Violet POV

I startled awake. Nightmares about Dad flooded my dreams. I was damp in sweat when I sat up straight. I looked down at Ash and saw an innocent, boyish look on his face. His breathing was soft and steady. I kissed him lightly on the cheek before slipping out of bed and changing into a new pair of clothes. 

I closed the main bedroom doors behind me softly then tiptoed throughout the empty hallways. Surely nobody would still be awake. I contemplated on grabbing a cup of blood or taking a walk through the gardens again. I stopped in front of the doors that directly led to the yard, I bit my lip as I vacillated my thoughts then went outside into the night breeze. 

I hugged my body and shivered a bit at the top of the staircase. I regretted not bringing a light jacket. I chastised myself for always making clumsy mistakes. I shook my head slightly at the silliness. I turned my face to the moon then breathed out. Little fog exited my mouth and flowed away with the wind. I traveled down the stairs then walked the very familiar trail. 

I came to a stop at the pink mum bush. Maybe I could put some in a vase. I bent to find the clippers when giggling sounded faintly. I looked around but could not hear anything besides the water fountain. The constant pouring drowned out any other movement. I spotted a few guards patrolling, but I could not see anything else nearby. I shrugged and dismissed my lunacy. 

I heard giggling again, so I put the clips down and trailed off towards the corner of which I heard it coming from. It sounded once more and my eyes widened when I realized that it was Jilly's laugh. I hid behind a tree and spied on her. She was in a deep conversation with a man. Low and behold, the man hiding in the shadows was Mr. Caleb. I raised an eyebrow in surprise. What were they doing together this late at night? Are they suddenly the bestest buddies ever? 

They were sitting too close for my comfort. I stood in silence for a while and got close enough where I could eavesdrop on their conversation. "Ash told me that finding a mate is amazing, I just hope that he is true." Caleb said then looked down at his lap. Jilly reached for his hand. I covered my mouth with a hand with wide eyes. My hunch was true. 

"I will be happy to be your mate. I will try to be the best for you. I understand all of this vampire stuff. It is different and might take some time to adjust to, but I will try. You're no different than humans. I would have considered you one if I haven't known." She said in a soft voice. Caleb looked up with a wide smile and hugged her.

My jaw fell to the ground. I can not believe my eyes. I stayed in the shadows until they got up and walked into the castle together. Admittedly, I was still a bit in shock. My best friend is Caleb's mate! How coincidental and adorable! But I knew what he was capable of. I would make sure that he should not mess with me. I wasn't sure to be happy or worried. Surely Caleb had changed. That was his past. Having a mate is different than a one night fling. 

I could not wait to tell Ash once he wakes up; in the meantime, I sat on a bench near the fountain and remembered how my reaction was when I found out about vampires and Ash being my mate. I flipped BIG TIME. I was the complete opposite of Jilly. Maybe that's why we get along so well, there is that saying, 'opposites attract'. 

Ash found me in Aidan's room. I ended up not sleeping at all last night; I knew that it would take it's toll later this evening, but I didn't care right now. So I started building blocks with Aidan, once the little guy woke up. "Come on, baby. Let's go get some breakfast." I held my hand out for Aidan to grab. Ash followed us to the kitchen with a warm smile. 

To my surprise, Cameron, Jilly, and Caleb already stood chatting amongst each other. Jilly and Caleb were looking at each other but stood from a distance. As soon as Cam laid eyes on little Aidan, he gasp and barreled his way to meet him at eye level. Cameron could not stop gushing over him and did so for several minutes. 'Ash Jr.' He continued exclaiming. We let him be after rolling our eyes. 

I pulled the other three together and looked back and forth between Jilly and Caleb. They avoided my eye contact. I laughed and raised an eyebrow. "I know what you two are." I started slowly. Ash looked like a lost puppy with a huge frown. "You two are mates!" I wiggled my eyebrows. 

The pair dropped their jaws and stood with their faces turning red. Is it true? Ash asked me. I overheard them talking. I told him. "I'm watching you, Caleb. You hurt her then you're messing with me." I stared him deep into his soul. "Turn her whenever you want, but one scratch and you're out of here." He took a step back and nodded frantically. "Good." I smiled satisfied with myself. 

I rolled my eyes when I eyed the untouched blood glasses on the counter. "Let's not waste perfectly good blood. Seriously. Get your lives together." I put the extra two cups away after the men got theirs. They chuckled behind the cup. I resisted to turn and snap at them. 

The guys went off to do some training; meanwhile Jilly, Cameron, and I were walking through the woods. "Does it hurt to be imprinted?" Jillian asked after a while. I thought about it then shook my head. There wasn't any pain at all, but a lot of pleasure. I recalled the warm blood flowing down my throat and all my thoughts turned to a blur. I shook my head. I could spare both of them the details. I looked over to Cameron and saw that he was quiet. Too quiet.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. He shrugged and sighed.

"What am I going to do with you two living in the palace? Do I just continue my life without you guys? So many questions after Jilly gets turned and imprinted by Caleb, which by the way is a total win, but still." He whined. I felt bad for him. His best friends were living a fairy tale while he stays back in the city and goes through the life cycle of a basic human. I could turn him if he wanted to, but that would just be wrong. I couldn't do that to my friend. I don't even know if the process of turning is painful or not. I woke up as a vampire. Cameron snapped his fingers in front of my face. I shook my head and stared at him.

"You shouldn't be worried about that. Everyone eventually gets their happy ever after. You just have to be patient. Ash was looking for his mate for a century!" I explained super-speedy. Cameron looked at me weird then sighed and nodded slowly. I felt very guilty for making him feel like this and from the looks of Jilly, she felt the same as well. I'll find someone for him. He deserves to be happy. 

A/N: Heyyy! I thought you guys deserved another long chapter (: soooo Caleb finally has a mate!! Eep. I love Caleb, but not as much as Ash hehehe. Any who, I'll try to be posting longer chapters from here on out! Thank you and I hope you enjoyed this chapter, so don't forget to slap that vote button and comment!!

~Kitty xoxo