Chapter 20

Asher POV

When Violet walked by me without a word. It hurt a bit, but I did not want to intervene with her thoughts. Her needed her space and I respect her for that. That was the meaning of a healthy relationship with your mate. It was probably a bad afternoon, I brushed off any worry and watched her retreating back. She spent the afternoon with my mother, so I could see why she needed someplace peaceful and quiet. 

I met Aidan running around the garden with his nanny. She excused herself once she saw me approaching. I lifted little Aidan up and rested him on my shoulder. His little giggles filled the air. I chuckled slightly at the sight of the small dimple on his right cheek, much identical like mine. He had not questioned me where we were going as he knew the path all too well. 

I brought us down the trail, through the woods, and to the secret passage that not even our parents knew of. It was a covered leaf canopy that had a beautiful tree in the center and a fountain on the side. 

Moments later, I was pushing his small form on the swing set. I needed to escape the hectic castle and concentrate my thoughts with silence. The running water in the background cleared my mind. I focused on my mate and my soon-to-be role of king. Pressure was very much evident, but I had no other choice; although, I would gladly take over the legend that my father and grandfather left in the vampire community. 

"You know when I left this place, he was only a baby." Her cold voice sounded behind me. I froze and stood looking forward. I closed my eyes and pleaded that it was not who I expected it to be. I applied a smirk on my smug-looking face. 

I whipped around and stared back at the woman standing in the shadows. Nothing about her had changed. She held her head high with an eyebrow raised, in her tight, very revealing dress. How dare she come back in this condition! She had no right to step foot here. 

I made sure that Aidan was standing safely behind me. "What do you want, Anabelle." I nearly growled. The words felt like poison in my mouth. "Who said you can come back?" My protective voice boomed. Nobody wanted her back. After what she has done, she did not deserve to be here. Her brown eyes held adoration. I scowled and proceeded to stare at her. Her evil laugh filled the space around us.

"Can I not visit my little brothers? I am sure they miss me very dearly." She smirked. "How have you been, brother? Long time, no see. Violet seems charming and a true darling. I hope you didn't mind me visiting her before you." That statement made me furious.

"I swear, Anabelle, that if you lay a hand on her, then-" I started.

"Then what? You will shoo me away from my own home? I am very sure that mother and father would want me to say hello before leaving. Plus I wanted to say hi to my dearest little brother." She looked at Aidan from around my legs. Aidan peeked a bit from behind my legs. I placed my hand on his shoulder protectively. He recoiled back in fear when he met eye contact with her. She crossed her arms and scoffed. Anger rose in my body. How dare she dismiss her brother's fear? It was not his fault. 

She sneered. "He will meet me again once he matures. Until then brothers, ta ta! Don't miss me too much, will you?" She took steps backwards while maintaining hard eye contact on me until she vanished into the shadows. My jaw was strongly clenched and my fists were threatening to slam something. Anything.

 Aidan tugged on my jeans. "She scary. I don't like her." He whispered. He looked around to make sure that she was not eavesdropping. I nodded and picked him up for a hug. His warm body soothed my flaming soul. 

After tucking him into bed, I made sure that Caleb stayed by him at all times. I took off to Violet's room, I didn't even bother knocking, I needed to know if she is alright. She was sound asleep when I approached her. She seemed okay, except for a red marking across her cheek. I felt my anger rising. I will make Anabelle pay for what she's done! I tried to compose myself and keep my anger in line. I planted a kiss on her cheek gently. I will protect her and make sure that she is by my side. It is my job to prevent her from any danger. Again, this was all my fault.