Chapter 21

Violet POV

My cheek was sore the next day. I winced each time I moved it. Hopefully the swelling had settled down, but a faint bruise had formed. I tried my best to cover it with makeup, even though I never used any. Just keep cool and nobody would look at you long enough to notice. Or at least that's what I thought, when I walked into the kitchen, the look on Asher's face told me that he was bothered and worried about something.

I avoided his gaze and reached for a cup from the storage. I drank slowly and still felt his eyes staring at me. I cleared my throat and turned to him expecting an answer. "How are you, love?" He asked with his eyes still boring onto my skull. I shrugged and started drinking again. Although I did not deny the blush that sprouted on my face. He took the cup from my hand and asked again.

"I am okay." I replied sternly and took my cup back. Who did he think he was! It was rude enough to take my blood from me. 'Are you sure?' He asked. I nodded and looked away.

"So my sister visited me yesterday." He started with a sip from his cup. He knew exactly how to get an answer out of me. He had a satisfied look on his face when I started choking on the blood. He had a sister? And yet I thought that she was an ex.

His hand reached up and gently stroked my cheek. "How does it feel?" My eyes widen. How in the world could he tell? I thought my makeup job wasn't that bad.

"It's better." There was no denying anything now. He knows and I couldn't help it. He nodded, not believing my story one bit.  I sighed and began to walk away when he caught my hand.

"I'm sorry." He stated. There was guilt in his voice and he stared at the floor. I lifted his face and gave him a little kiss on his lips. 'It's ok', I said. He nodded and smiled in relief. I could tell that deep down, the guilt was burning a hole in his heart.

I reached up and cupped his face. He was cleanly shaven and wore a small smile that revealed his charming dimple. I stroked his cheek while staring deeply into his eyes.

The atmosphere was tense with intimacy. I wanted him in my arms forever. His body pressed against mine for eternity. Everything together forever. I took a deep breath and was about to pull back, until he caught my lips in a soft kiss.

I smiled into his chest. It rumbled beneath my touch. I looked up into his glittering brown eyes. "I will see you later, lover boy." I whispered and straightened his shirt. He winked with a knowing smirk. I rolled my eyes and felt his eyes on my retreating back as I exited the kitchen.

A wide smile was on my face when I entered the library. The queen sat in the middle of the overarching bookshelves, filled of endless books. She was very pleased to see that I came on time today. I sat down beside her with a small smile. Well here goes another day with the queen.