The New Kid

-Alex-

The World Cup was here. We were the team representing the United States, and we were going to do it in style. Our starting forward, Abby Wambach,was hurt in a scrimmage game against France. Our coach told us she broke her clavicle going up for a header.

Aka

Abby couldn't play.

What were we gonna do? None of us had any idea how we were going to win this cup without Abby. But our coach had the answer for us. One day at practice, all our questions were answered.

---

I passed the ball to my best friend, Tobin, as we warmed up. The World Cup was in two weeks. We had two weeks before our lives changed forever. We either were going to win the cup, or be the team that lost two times in a row.

Our coach, Jill, walked out onto the field. By her side was a tall tan girl with dark brown hair, and green eyes, I guessed. She had dark, black tattoos running up and down her arms. Even from the distance, I could tell she was all muscles. Jill blew her whistle, signaling for us to join her at the center circle.

"Ladies, I know we're all excited for this World Cup." She said, as we all nodded in agreement. "And I've brought in someone who's going to help us win this year. You may recognize her as the twenty two year old from the U-22 national team, and as the starting forward for PSG." All of our faces grew shocked as we realized who this girl in front of us was. "This is-"

"Emily Rush." Hope said, making all of us look back at her. "All of your shots on frame have gone in. You've never missed a shot." Hope continued.

"Hope watches your game tapes to help her practice." Jill said. "So yes, this is Emily Rush. She'll be our new starting forward along side Alex." With that said, Jill left us to talk to the legend in front of us.

"So Rush," Tobin said, passing her a ball. "Show us why they call you the legend." She said. Hope walked over and got in goal, her bitch face set. Kelley O'Hara, one of our best defenders, stepped out in front of her.

Emily tapped the ball from foot to foot, teasing Kelley. Kelley got in her stance, waiting for Emily to strike. Emily stopped teasing Kelley, and tapped the ball forward. She started dribbling, as Kelley went to defend. Emily rolled her foot over the ball, making Kelley shift her weight. She then tapped the ball between Kelley's legs, and rolled around her. Emily trapped the ball, tapping it to her right. She planted her hips right, as Hope shifted her weight. What happened next, none of us expected. Emily took her shot, and we saw Hope tumbled to the right. But when the ball soared into the top left corner, we were all just as shocked as Hope. She picked herself up, grabbing the ball from the back of the goal. Hope walked out of the goal, a furious look on her face.

"Find me after practice." She said, dropping the ball to Emily's feet. "I wanna talk to you." Hope said, walking back to goal. Kelley walked over to Emily.

"How'd you do that?" She asked. Emily turned around, seeing all of us staring at her.

"It's why I never miss a shot. I can plant my hips one way, and shoot the total opposite way." She said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Ladies, let's get to practicing!" Jill yelled, making us all nod. I walked over to Tobin, taking the ball from her feet.

"Hey superstar, how's the knee?" Tobin Heath was my best friend, and she knew everything about me. Everything besides my feelings. My feelings for her.

"Um, alright." I said, bending my knee. A small knee brace clung to my leg. A recent injury I had made sure I would need this brace for awhile.

"Lex?" Tobin questioned, grabbing my hands. I took in a harsh breath, looking up at Tobin. "What's bothering you? I know when you're lying."