Blood and Assists

-Kelley-

We won our game against Nigeria and were on to play China. Emily scored the game winning goal, a header into the back of the net. Pinoe and Cheney got yellow cards and couldn't play in the next game. Jill told me that she planned on putting me in, and I didn't believe her. But she was telling the truth.

Today was our game against China, and it was going to be intense. I was starting in the midfield with Carli, Tobin, and Moe. Alex and Em were starting up as forwards. After the coin toss, we headed out into the field. Carli was our captain, but we lost the toss. China got the kickoff, and the game started. Their forward tried to send the ball down field, but Carli got a toe on it. It bounced over to me, and I sent it up to Alex. Alex went to goal, but was knocked down by a Chinese defender. There was no call, and the ball was sent up field.

At half the score was zero zero, and the game soon started up again. In the fifty first minute, Julie sent a ball up to Emily. She dribbled up field, and faked out a defender. Emily was trapped on the side line with two defenders surrounding her. She tapped her foot on the ball, and then rolled it between her defenders. She pushed between the two defenders, and sent the ball into the box to Carli. Emily was tripped up by the defenders, and fell hard on her chest. Carli jumped up with two defenders beside her. She got her head on the ball, and flicked it at goal. It flew past the goalie, and hit the back of the net. Carli stumbled to her feet, and then started to run. I saw Emily get to her feet, and start running. I fallowed after her, as Carli jumped up and kicked the corner flag. Carli spun around, pointing her fingers at Emily. The forward jumped into Carli's arms, who spun the two of them.

After we got reset, the ref blew her whistle. The game continued 1-0. An hour into the game, China got a corner. I was standing in the box, ready to defend. Once the corner was sent in, Becky got it out of the box. A China player recovered it, and sent it back in the box towards me. I jumped up, and felt something collide with my nose. Stumbling back, I held my hand to my nose. Wiping my hand back, blood appeared on my palm. I saw the ball in the midfield, and started to run up there. The coaches were motioning me to the side line, but I just wiped the blood away. The referee saw the blood dripping down my chin and staining my jersey, and blew her whistle. She sent me off to get checked, and continued the game.

The med team started to clean up my nose, wiping away all the blood. Once they got the bleeding to stop, they placed some gauze up my nose. I grabbed the hem of my jersey, and pulled it off of my body. The med team handed me a new one, as I pulled it over my body. Wiping some of the dried blood from my chin, I headed over to the half. Once the ball was out of bounce, I headed back in. A deep bruise was starting to cover my nose, but I shrugged it off.

The game soon ended 1-0 with us winning. Carli scored the header, and Emily had the assist. I just played my first World Cup game, and I think it went pretty well. As soon as the ref blew her whistle, I ran up the field to Emily. She turned to face me, and held put her arms. I jumped into them, wrapping my legs around her waist. Nuzzling my head into her neck, I took in her scent. She smelt like the ocean and lilacs, one of the best things I've ever smelt.

"Are you okay?" She asked, and I nodded.

"I'm perfect." I whispered into her ear.

"Are you sure?" She asked, and I again nodded.

"I'm perfect Em, don't worry." I told her.

"You played amazing." She told me, and I smiled.

"So did you." I told her. "That was a hell of a cross." I said, jumping down from her waist. We walked over to the bench, where every one hugged the two of us.