Broken Noses and Sick Days

-Alex-

I woke up the next morning sprawled out on the bed next to Tobin. She was still asleep, so I checked my phone. Scrolling through Instagram, I saw a picture Kelley had posted. It was Emily sitting in an ice bath, holding a husky puppy. I smiled, looking at the caption. They named their dog Nike.

Interesting.

Tobin soon woke up, rolling into my side. I smiled, running my fingers through her hair. She wrapped her arms around my bare waist, kissing my skin.

"Morning." I said, as she smiled.

"Morning?" She mumbled.

"So Kelley and Em got a puppy." I said, as her head shot up.

"Show me, show me, show me." She said, pushing herself up onto my chest. I showed her the picture of the puppy, and she smiled. "Cuuutttee." She said, smiling at the screen.

"Did you know it's their eight month anniversary in a week? Then they'll be going on nine months." I said, and she smiled.

"Did you know that Emily's birthday is in five days?" She asked me, and I quirked my eyebrows.

"No, I totally forgot!" I yelled.

"You forgot your best friends birthday?" Tobin asked, as she pushed herself up to look at me.

"Yah, yah I did." I mumbled. "Ugh I'm such an ass!" I yelled, crawling out of the bed. "December eighth, how the hell could I forget December eighth!" I yelled, running downstairs into the living room.

"Alex, it's not a big deal. I mean, the team is getting together the twenty seventh. You can call her on her birthday, and then we'll give her a present when we see her." Tobin said, walking down the stairs.

"Yah, yah okay." I said, setting my phone down on the kitchen island. Taking deep breaths, I closed my eyes.

"It's okay." She said, leaning across the island to kiss me. Once she broke the kiss, I sighed.

"It's okay." I repeated.

"Come on, let's go get breakfast."

---

Once me and Tobin changed, we headed down to our favorite café. We signed some things for Portland fans and national team fans, and then we ordered coffee. I went and got us a table, as Tobin waited for our coffee. Pulling out my phone, I scrolled through Instagram. I clicked on Emily's page, and saw her recent post. It was Emily and Kelley kissing, and Nike was sitting in front of the camera. I smiled, and then my smile faded.

"What's up?" Tobin asked, as she set my coffee down in front of me.

"Nothing." I mumbled, closing my phone.

"Lex, don't lie." Tobin said, as she sat down across from me.

"It's just- do you think it would be easier if we just told everyone?" I asked.

"Told everyone what?" Tobin asked, sipping her coffee.

"That we're together. Then we wouldn't have to hide it, and I could have coffee with you as girlfriends, instead of friends. I could hold your hand wherever, instead of just under the table." I said, and she nodded.

"We've been together officially for five months, but we've been best friends forever. We can tell anyone and everyone, if that's what you want." She told me, and I nodded.

"Do you want this, to officially be out with me?" I asked, and she laughed.

"It's all I've ever wanted." She said, and I smiled.