News and Scars

-Emily-

Hearing a low hum of a machine, I tried to peel my eyes open. A beep filled my ears, and a bright light shined over my eyes. Slowly peeling my eyes open, a piercing light covered my vision. Groaning out, a harsh scratching noise came out of my mouth. Rolling my head over, I saw a white tile floor. Looking back up towards the ceiling, I saw someone appear in front of my vision.

"Em?" I recognized the voice of my girlfriend. I tried to speak, but another scratching noise came from my throat. "Shh, don't try to speak." She whispered to me. "You're okay, Em. You're okay." She told me, as I slowly sat up. "They've already done one surgery on your jaw, so that's why you can't talk. They had to wire it shut in order for the bone to heal." Kelley explained. "They've also done one on your nose, and stitched up all of your cuts. But they don't want you moving much, you have a minor concussion." She told me, and I laid my head back on the pillow. Hearing the doors open, I looked up to see Alex, Tobin, JJ, and Press. Waving at them, they all smiled back.

"Hey Em." Alex said. "How are you?" She asked me, as I waved my hand from side to side. She nodded. "So so, got it."

"You really scared us all, especially Kelley." JJ said, and I looked up at Kelley. She smiled at me, as I grabbed her hand.

"We wanna show you something." Tobin said, pulling out her phone. She placed it in front of me, as I took it. As I looked down on my arms and hands, I saw bruises set into my skin. Looking back at the phone, I watched as a video started to play. It was me down on the ground, after I had been pushed into the post. I saw the camera zoom out, and then Alex walked into frame. I looked up at her, to see her covering her face. Then a loud 'hey' came, and I saw Alex punch the defender that pushed me. I smiled, as she continued to hit her. Pulling out some paper, I wrote quick on it.

"You threw a tantrum for me. Aw." I wrote, showing it to Alex. She blushed, and covered her face. The video continued, showing a huge fight breaking out. I then saw Alex get punched, and looked up at her.

I then took a closer look at all of my friends. Alex had a busted lip and bruising eye. Tobin had a cut threw her eyebrow, and JJ had a bruised nose. Press had a bruise on her cheek, and Kelley had a black eye. I can't believe I didn't notice. Taking the paper, I wrote again.

"You all got hurt." I wrote.

"It was are own fault." Alex said. "It was really my fault. But I couldn't stand to see those people push you around Em, and after that one girl sent you straight into the goal post. I lost it." She told me, and I wrote again.

"Thank you. You guys are amazing." I wrote, and they smiled at me.

"We love you Emily, you're our family." JJ said. "We'll always protect you."

---

After all of my friends left, it was just me and Kelley. The rest of the team had stopped by to see me, and I had now grown tired. Currently me and Kelley were watching sports center, and I then hard my name.

"Emily Rush is a force to be reckoned with. Not only did she have the highest goal scoring percentage through out the cup, but she scored in the finale with a massive head injury. Rush took two sets of cleats to her head while in the box. The impact caused massive bleeding and several gashes. Even though Rush had broken her nose and jaw, she continued to play. After Emily scored the penalty, she continued the match. In the second half, Japan defender Aya Sameshima pushed Rush into a goal post. This resulted in a fight to break out between both teams, initially started by Alex Morgan. Emily then had to be treated to again after the injury, and was allowed to continue play. After the U.S was announced World Cup champions, Emily collapsed on the field."