Weights and Games

-Alex-

We had one day before we played Australia, one day until we started our journey to victory. Everyone was pumped and doing great in practices. Tobin's crosses were amazing, Pinoes corners with incredible, the back line was unstoppable, and Emily couldn't miss.

Today we had a weight session before tomorrow's game. Tobin and I walked into the gym, waiting for the rest of our team. After everyone one got here, Jill let us do whatever weights we wanted. I was about to do bench presses with Tobin, when I saw Emily put weights on a bar. She put about forty pounds on each side, as Kelley came to spot her. She placed her hands on either side of the bar, then ducked under it. She placed the bar in the middle of her shoulder blades, and lifted it off of the bench. Emily Rush was squatting about one hundred and twenty five pounds, since the bar weighted around forty five. She did a few reps, then placed the bar back on the bench. She then removed the weights, and put on one hundred pounds on each side. Two hundred and forty five pounds. We all stopped or own weight sessions to watch. Emily lifted the bar off of the bench, and started her squats. As she did her squats, the muscles in her legs flexed and bulged. She was like a god.

Emily placed the bar back on the bench, and added one hundred more pounds onto each side. Four hundred and forty five pounds.

After our weight session, we headed out to the pitch. We all loaded the bus, getting ready for the short ride. I sat down next to Tobin, who pulled out monopoly deal. Smiling at her, I pulled down my small table. Emily sat down next to Kelley, her beats covering her head. Kelley sat on the outside seat closest to me, so I leaned over to her.

"Kels, what's up with Emily?" I asked her.

"She's kind of upset because her little sisters birthday is coming up and she won't be able to visit her. It's the same day as the Sweden game." Kelley told me.

"Her sister?" I questioned.

"Yah, Kathleen. She calls her Kat, and she's turning ten." Kelley told me. Ten was kind of an important age for a little kid.

"I'll be back." I said, as I jumped out of my seat. Running down the aisle, I stopped at Jill's seat. Kneeling down beside her, I smiled at her. "Hey coach." I said.

"Alex, what's up?" She asked.

"Well, Emily's little sister is turning ten in a few weeks. The day of the Sweden game actually, and I was wondering if we could fly her out here for the game and for her birthday. Emily really wants to be there for her birthday." I told her, and she nodded.

"Okay." Jill said. "I think it's a great idea." I smiled.

"Okay, but I think it should be a surprise." I told her.

"Yah, a surprise. She's lucky to have you Alex." Jill told me.

"Yah, well I'm lucky to have her too." I said, as I got up and headed to my seat.

---

Today was game day. USA vs. Australia. Everyone was pumped and excited to start the World Cup. Right now we were all on the locker room getting ready for the game. Tobin was dancing with Cheney and A-Rod, Kelley was talking with Christen and Abby, and Emily had her beats on leaning back against the wall. She had her eyes closed, drumming her fingers against her leg. I was currently doing my visualizations, and listening to my music. Abby got everyone's attention, besides Emily's. Pinoe picked up a soccer ball, throwing it at Emily. It bounced off her head, and she slowly opened her eyes.

"Let's go Rush." Abby said, making the girl pause her music. Emily got up, joining us in the group huddle. "Alright girls, your first game in the World Cup. Get out there and win it for you."