Chapter 8

Dr. Jonas Wentworth looked up from his worktable and let out an evil cackle. "At long last! Victory is mine! That accursed wretch Octavius will rue the day he dared cross Jonas Wentworth! And that no good Maurice! He'll pay, too! Eustace! Come here immediately! I have an important task for you!"

Dr. Wentworth's new lab assistant Eustace walked casually into the room munching on a muffin. "Yes, sir?" Eustace was an intern from the local Mad Science Community College. He seemed well-intentioned, albeit a bit lazy.

"I'm going to need you to locate a subject to test out my new device on!"

"New device, sir?" Eustace said with a mouth full of muffin.

"Yes!" Dr. Wentworth rubbed his hands together gleefully. "I'm through with monsters! I'm moving on to greener pastures now! The world will tremble before me when I unleash my unbelievably diabolical mind control device!" He let forth another burst of maniacal laughter before stopping abruptly. "But it still needs to be tested out. That's why I need you to recruit a 'volunteer.' Don't be afraid to resort to kidnapping if you must. We mustn't let a little thing like scruples get in the way of revenge!"

"Right away, sir," Eustace said as he turned to leave.

"Oh, and Eustace?"

"Yes, sir?"

"One more thing before you go. Could you bring me one of those muffins?"

"Plain or blueberry, sir?"

"Ooooh," Dr. Wentworth rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Do we have cranberry?"

"I think there might be one left, sir."

"Excellent," Dr. Wentworth twiddled his fingers evilly.

*

Max was wobbling in his barstool when Sarah finally located him. He had been drinking steadily for the past hour after failing miserably in his attempt to pick up the bar's lone female patron, who had at first tried to ignore him, but had then felt compelled to leave the bar entirely. In the meantime he had been regaling the bartender, who was a giant mosquito with a pencil-thin moustache, with tales of his greatness. The bartender seemed to be barely tolerating Max's stories only in as much as Max was running up a sizeable bar tab.

"There you are," Sarah said as she entered the bar. "I've been looking all over for you."

Max looked up bleary-eyed. "Ah, need some good lovin'? Well, you've certainly come to the right place."

Sarah chose to ignore this remark and instead stared at Max expectantly. "Well?"

"Well what?"

"Did you get my purse back?"

"Oh yeah. Uh, not exactly. But don't worry. I have a very solid lead. And I am the greatest detective in the history of the universe, as you well know by now."

"So what's this lead of yours?" Sarah asked.

"It was definitely stolen by a Chihuahua who took it into a little door that probably leads somewhere or other."

"That doesn't sound very promising," Sarah frowned.

"Hey, it's a start. I've got numerous sources of information. We can ask around, maybe grease a few palms. We'll see what we can find out."

"I'd like to get my purse back. Do you think we could get started asking around soon?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I guess we probably should. Let's see. There's always my friend Hazim. He's up on all the local gossip."

"Is he that blind guy who lives in the invisible building?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah. On second thought, it's kind of a pain in the ass to get a hold of him. Besides, for criminal matters it's probably better to talk to criminals. There's this sketchy little bar I know about in the Southeastern Quadrant where a lot of disreputable types hang out. The bartender owes me a favor. Come on, this place is a sausage fest anyway. Let's split."

As Max stood up to leave the giant mosquito buzzed up to him. "Did you wish to settle your bar tab now, sir?"

"Huh?" Max blinked in apparent incomprehension. "Oh, uh, pay the man, will you Sarah?"

"I don't have any floss. My purse got stolen, remember?"

"That is a problem," Max scratched his head thoughtfully.

"Sir?" the mosquito asked impatiently. "Your tab?"

"Actually, I'd like to order another drink," Max said.

"What are you doing?" Sarah slapped his arm. "I thought we were getting out of here?"

"Trust me," Max whispered back. "That's it, my good man. One for the lady as well." As the bartender turned around to pour the drinks Max grabbed Sarah by the wrist and took off running down the street.