Chapter 11

"No I will not ride the Roto-bus and that's final!" Sarah said as she folded her arms firmly under her chest.

"Oh come on," Max groaned. "I don't understand what you have against them. They're the most convenient form of transportation in the city!"

"What I have against them is that they're like riding around in a giant washing machine and they make me want to throw up. Anyway I'm in charge of the floss and I'll decide our mode of transportation."

"Jeez, chicks are such wimps," Max shook his head in disgust.

"Say another word and I'll kick your ass," Sarah shot him a dirty look. "Doesn't Bobby usually hang out around here somewhere?"

"You mean your polar bear friend who pulls the rickshaw? I think he usually waits for customers a couple blocks away from here. Come on, I know the way."

"At least you're useful for something," Sarah mumbled under her breath.

They found Bobby standing on a street corner by his rickshaw. He was engaged in a heated argument about tap dancing with his best friend Timmy, a small bulldog who was also in the rickshaw business.

"Look jerk wad, every moron knows it's heel toe heel toe!" Timmy growled.

"That's right," Bobby smirked. "Every moron knows that. Meanwhile anyone with half a brain knows it's toe toe heel toe."

"You're a complete idiot! I swear, I don't know why I let you hang out with me."

"You're the one that's always following me around," Bobby shrugged. "Besides, who'd want to hang out with your mangy flea-ridden butt anyway?"

"You take that back, penguin breath!" Timmy shouted. "I took my flea bath just this morning and you know it!"

"Ahem," Sarah walked up beside them and cleared her throat.

"Well, well, if you're not a sight for sore eyes," Bobby smiled. "What brings you back to these parts?"

"Obviously she finally realized she couldn't live without me and came back to declare her love," Timmy licked his paws and attempted to groom himself.

"Oh, hello there, Tony was it?" Sarah asked.

"That's Timmy," he muttered through clenched teeth.

"Actually we were wondering if Bobby would mind giving us a ride."

"Oh sure, I'd be honored to give you a ride again, Sarah," Bobby gave a little bow while smiling sidelong at Timmy. "You too, Max. Hop on in."

"Don't mind if I do, my good man," Max said as he tested the cushions with his hand to determine which seat was the most comfortable.

Bobby helped Sarah into the rickshaw and then began pulling it at a leisurely pace, leaving Timmy behind grumbling to himself. "So where can I take you today?"

"Squinch's Saloon," Max said.

"That's in a pretty rough part of town. There are a lot of classier joints nearby if you're just looking to drink."

"I know that!" Max said. "You think I don't know where all the good bars are located? The fact of the matter is we're in the midst of another extremely important investigation. Now step on it, man!"

"Okay, okay, I was just trying to be helpful," Bobby shrugged. "So tell me, Sarah, what does bring you back to town anyway?"

"My uncle came back to look into this business of the color green disappearing. I came along to make sure he'd be okay."