Chapter 31

"Someone's coming," Sarah whispered as she peeked out the door at the alleyway.

"Who is it?" Dr. Octavius asked as he stood behind her and tried to look over her shoulder.

"I can't tell. It's a big guy. He's wearing a black robe with a hood that's concealing his face."

"I'll wager this is our man," Dr. Octavius said. "Let's watch and see what he does."

"He's walking up to the other wall," Sarah reported. "He just pulled a door out of his robe and put it on the wall. And he just went through it."

"Excellent," Dr. Octavius said. "Let's give him another minute or two and then we'll go in after him. Hopefully he'll be caught in our trap."

"You really think that thing's going to work, Doc?" Max asked as he studied his hand of cards. "You got any sevens?"

"Go fish," Bobby replied.

"Let's hope so," Dr. Octavius said. "I did spend quite a bit of my undergrad research time attempting to build a better mousetrap."

"You got any threes?" Bobby asked.

Max looked at the two threes he was holding in his hand. "Go fish."

"Mmm," Bobby said smacking his lips. "Fish sounds tasty right about now. I could go for a nice smoked halibut."

"You guys want to put your card game away and come help us out?" Sarah asked. "It looks like we're dealing with a pretty large guy. We may need some muscle to keep him subdued."

"All right," Max said as he threw down his cards. "You're lucky, Bobby. I was about to get you on the ropes."

"Fun game, but I can't play it without getting hungry," Bobby said as he stood up. "All right let's go get this jerk."

"I can help, too," Esther said. "I'll peck at his ankles."

They all filed out into the alleyway and Dr. Octavius peeled the door off the wall behind them.

"You know, we could just peel off the door the man in black brought as well and trap him in there the way they trapped Michelangelo," Sarah said.

"True," Dr. Octavius said as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "But then we wouldn't be able to question him. Also if he manages to get free of the trap I set he might be able to get that machine back up and running and then we'd be back at square one. No, we'd better go in and see if we caught him."

This door was big enough for even Bobby to fit through. As soon as they passed through into the hallway they could hear loud thumping sounds accompanied by vigorous profanity.

"I have a good feeling the trap worked," Dr. Octavius said with a smile. "Let's go see what exactly we're up against."

They emerged into the main room to find the dark robed figure hanging upside down and tangled up in wires. He was thrashing around wildly and cursing up a storm.

"That voice sounds familiar," Sarah said. She reached forward and pulled back the hood. "Vance?"

"Hey babe," Vance said as he looked her up and down from head to foot. "I knew you'd come back for me. No woman can resist my charm. Why don't you get me down from here and I'll take you back to your room and sex you up real good for old time's sake."