Chapter 66

"So I plunged the pair of electrodes deep into the middle of the copper slime queen's body and she exploded into a puddle of goo," Zannah said as she finished her drink and set the empty glass down on the table.

"Wow," Sadie said. "I'm not sure which story was better. That one or Esther's story about facing down the angry rhinoceros."

"That's not even my best story," Esther said as she wiped her beak off with her wing. "Sometime I'll have to tell you the tale of the great mealworm pandemic of ought four."

"I'm so glad we did this," Sarah said. "I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. You ladies are a riot."

"Anyone want to hit a male strip club after this?" Esther asked. "I like to stuff the floss in their little thong underwear and then 'accidentally' pull it down."

"That sounds like a lot of fun, but I should probably call it a night," Zannah said. "Those scientist guys did an amazing job of getting the Starswan back up and running. Captain Torean gets itchy if we stay in one place for too long, so he's looking to take off early in the morning."

"How about you, Sadie?" Sarah asked. "What are your plans?"

"I think I'm going to go with the Starswan," Sadie said. "This seems like a nice enough place, but I don't really know anybody here and it isn't home."

"Aw, that's too bad," Sarah said. "I feel like we're really hitting it off. It'd be nice to have a good girlfriend here. Also there's a passageway back to Earth at the bottom of a pond in the Buttermoss Gardens."

"That's good to know," Sadie said. "To be honest, I think I've developed a little taste for space travel."

"That's not all she's developed a taste for," Zannah said giving her a playful nudge.

"I really like Trey a lot," Sadie said. "But I feel like the entire crew of the Starswan has adopted me as one of their own. Truth be told my life back on Earth was kind of boring. I think I could use a little more adventure. Plus, now that we know about those doors, maybe I can bring along one that's programmed to Earth. That way I'll always know there's a way home, if I want it."

"That's a good idea," Sarah said. "I hope you find lots of amazing adventures out there. I'm sure your life won't be boring with Zannah around. I'll miss hanging out with you though."

"I'll miss you, too," Sadie said. "I feel like we could become really good friends. You could always come with us, you know."

"That sounds tempting, but I wouldn't feel right leaving my uncle behind. He's the only family I have, and I'm not sure if he can take care of himself without me. I'd also miss Maurice. I've grown pretty fond of the little guy."

"Speaking of little guys, I can't wait to get back to the ship and give Bumble-Boo a good scratch behind the ears and then a vigorous tummy rub," Sadie said as she and Zannah stood up from the table. "That little nugget can't ever get enough when it comes to tummy rubs."

"Safe travels to both of you," Sarah said as she waved goodbye.

"So what do you say, Sarah?" Esther asked. "You want to hit that strip club?"

"That does sound fun, but I think I'm going to head back to the hotel and turn in."

"Suit yourself," Esther shrugged. "I guess old Esther's going stag to the strip club tonight."