Chapter 52

"T minus forty minutes until we reach the event horizon," Captain Torean said. "Are the bogies still on our tail?"

"They're still there," Zannah said. "They're maintaining their distance, though. I think they're waiting to see what we do."

"I've got some major butterflies in my stomach," Sadie said. "I don't know if I'm ready to die."

"Shall I sing a song to ease your final moments?" Trey asked.

"Please don't," Zeke said.

Trey opened his mouth and a beautiful, pure tone filled the air. He started softly, but gradually gained intensity as he sang a mournful melody. His voice echoed off the wall and he began harmonizing with himself in complex patterns. By the time he finished everyone's eyes were watering, except for Zeke. Even Wayne the robot wiped away a tear.

Milosh pulled out a hanky and blew his nose. "Is absolutely astonishing. Milosh is ready to die now. Of course, Milosh will also go on living on Ingleblott, so no big deal really."

"That song spoke to my very soul," Sadie sniffed. "I've never heard such lovely music in my life."

"Did you like it?" Trey asked. "I composed it on the spot. I like to feel the music deep inside and let it just flow through me."

"You are truly a conduit to the gods, Trey," Zannah said.

Bumble-Boo let out a little sigh while Shazmar pinged contentedly.

"Simply exquisite, I must say," Nulfar said. "Not even on Hoobler have I heard music of such sophistication and beauty."

"It almost makes me want to give up wrestling and just give hugs," WBDG said.

"Hugs for Milosh," Milosh said as he gave WBDG a warm embrace.

"Jesus Christ, people," Zeke said. "It wasn't that great. I've heard better music than that in elevators."

"Geek has no musical taste either," Captain Torean said. "Damn, son. No taste in music, no sense of humor. Do you enjoy anything?"

"Hey, I enjoy lots of stuff," Zeke said. "I'm just saying you guys are all making a big deal out of mediocrity. I mean, I guess I understand pretending it was amazing since it's probably the last music any of us will ever hear, but we can tone it down a little bit, can't we?"

"Perhaps you feel you can do better. Would you care to sing a song for us, Geek?" Trey asked.

"I'm not much of a singer," Zeke said. "I can play a mean triangle. You got one of those around here?"

"Why, it just so happens I'm the best triangle player in the known galaxy," Trey said as he reached into a compartment in the wall and pulled out a triangular-shaped case. He unzipped it and pulled out a solid gold triangle and a stick that appeared to be encrusted with diamonds.

"You have got to be kidding me," Zeke said. "This is a complete joke, right?"

"No joke," Trey said as he began banging on the triangle with the stick. His hand moved in a blur as he pounded out a complicated rhythm.

"Please, just stop," Zeke said as he reached out and grabbed the triangle.

"Did you wish to show us your chops?" Trey asked as he offered it to Zeke.