Chapter 50

"What do you mean that wasn't Zyvax the Intergalactic Destroyer of Worlds?" Sadie shouted. "That thing was a horror beyond imagining. The thought that it might have escaped fills me with a sense of dread beyond all words."

"That guy?" Nulfar said. "That was a mere underling. I'm afraid to say that it was downright pleasant compared to the sheer horror that is Zyvax the Intergalactic Destroyer of Worlds."

"That makes me feel really good," Sadie said. "You really know how to cheer a girl up."

"Relax," Trey said as he came over and put an arm around her shoulder. "I shall protect you from the evil demons."

"I could protect you," Zeke said.

"Is very kind of you to offer," Milosh said. "Milosh accepts."

Bumble-Boo chirped and stood protectively in front of Sadie.

"I'm a good protector, too," WBDG said. "I don't think that demon guy looks so tough. I bet I can take him."

"Why don't we all protect each other," Sadie said. "We can all have each other's backs."

"No offense," Nulfar said. "But I wouldn't rely on any of you for protection. No, I'm afraid it's quite certain we're all doomed."

"We blew that ship to pieces," Captain Torean said. "Personally I think we have a pretty good shot. We'll pick their fleet apart one ship at a time if that's what it takes."

"You were lucky to find that ship in isolation," Nulfar said. "Undoubtedly there are others nearby."

"Then let's take them down," Captain Torean said. "Shazmar, are you picking up any other ships in the vicinity?"

Shazmar stared at a screen and let out a pinging sound.

"How many and how close?" Captain Torean asked.

Shazmar pinged again.

"Sounds like we may be in for a fight sooner than expected. Everyone resume battle stations."

"I'm not getting left out in the open this time," Zeke said as he jumped into a seat and strapped himself in.

"There is another seat that folds out of the wall," Zannah said.

"What the hell?" Zeke asked. "Why didn't you tell me about that during the last melee?"

"It slipped my mind," Zannah shrugged. "I had more important things to worry about."

The screen crackled and the demonic face suddenly appeared on it. It made a chittering sound and once again Zeke could hear the horrible voice fill his head. "You have proved yourselves to be a minor irritation. I shall use your rib bones to pick my teeth after I consume your spleens. Prepare yourselves for your imminent demise."

"Go suck on a solar flare," Captain Torean said.

"Sir, there appears to be a ship on our tail," Zannah said.

"Put up the rear shields and prepare for immediate evasive action," Captain Torean said. "Everyone hold on tight. Here we go again."

Milosh sat next to Zeke and strapped himself in. "Is exciting, no? Milosh has never been in a space battle before."

"Neither have I," Zeke said. "Other than the one we were in like five minutes ago. I have, however, battled some talking flowers before. That was some pretty exciting stuff."