Chapter 51

Dr. Wentworth cackled with glee. "Eustace, make the funny little security guard tap dance. It pleases me."

"Yes, sir," Eustace said as he pointed the mind control device at the guard and turned some dials. The guard began intricately tapping his feet on the floor faster and faster.

"Excellent! He's got some talent." Dr. Wentworth clapped his hands enthusiastically. "I suppose we don't want to give the man a heart attack. Go ahead and have him open up the vault now."

"You got it, boss," Eustace said as he fiddled with the knobs some more. The guard stopped tap dancing and walked stiffly over to the large metal door. He turned the dial back and forth and pulled the heavy door open with a grunt.

"Make him handcuff himself to that pole over there and then make him punch himself in the face until he knocks himself out."

"Sure thing, sir," Eustace said as he stuck out the tip of his tongue and turned the knobs.

"Look, Eustace. They've got the little dollar signs on the money bags. Isn't that simply marvelous? Oh, this one's filled with pennies. I think we'll leave that one behind. Let's stick to the ones full of paper money."

"Sounds good to me," Eustace said.

"Hmm. It's going to take a bit of work to load all of these moneybags into the back of the van we appropriated. Is the guard unconscious yet?"

"He's blackened both of his eyes, and I think his nose might be broken, but he's still conscious, sir."

"Wonderful," Dr. Wentworth said as he tapped his fingertips together. "Why don't you have him load up the truck for us? Then he can resume knocking himself out."

"Yes, sir," Eustace said.

"This should allow us both to live comfortably well past retirement," Dr. Wentworth said. "But I'm afraid money isn't enough to satisfy me."

"What shall we do next, sir?" Eustace asked.

"I must say, I'm quite enjoying going on this rampage," Dr. Wentworth said. "I suppose it must come to an end sooner or later. Then it will be time to focus on the ultimate goal."

"The ultimate goal, sir?"

"Why, revenge, of course, my young assistant. Revenge on that worthless Dr. Octavius. The mere thought of that man makes my acid reflux flare up. I shall take great delight in forcing him to do my bidding. I can imagine no greater happiness than watching him have no choice but to obey my every little whim. The satisfaction in that should last me for years to come. Of course, if I ever grow weary of that, which is highly doubtful, I can always crush him like a grape."

"Shall we go after this Octavius person now, sir?" Eustace asked.

"Soon," Dr. Wentworth said. "I shall wish to devote my full attention to that task, so as to savor his downfall to the fullest possible amount. I'd better cross everything else I want to do off the list first. Octavius's defeat shall be the sweet, rich dessert to this course."

"What shall we do in the meantime?" Eustace asked.

"I have always wanted to ruin a football competition," Dr. Wentworth said with a sneer. "Those insufferable athletes were always administering wedgies to me back in my schooling days. They had the unmitigated gall to make light of my science textbooks as they knocked them out of my hands. Those accursed cheerleaders were always mean to me as well. Some of them administered some beatings to me on occasion. The humiliation I suffered at their hands shall not go unpunished. Come, Eustace. Let us find a football stadium somewhere where a match is taking place. I should greatly enjoy demonstrating how insignificant their little game is."

"Sounds like a brilliant plan, sir," Eustace said.

"When we're finished we shall treat ourselves to some waffles. Then we will come down on Octavius like the hammer of the Gods!"