Chapter 79

"Between all the Miloshes and the demon spawn, this place is getting pretty crowded," Max said as he was shoved into Zeke.

"Yeah, I would say this would be a good time to use our door to get back to Ingleblott, but there are just too many bodies between us and it," Zeke said. He ducked as a whip lashed over his head.

The Miloshes were fighting valiantly, but they were slowly but surely being overwhelmed by the demonic forces.

"I don't want to be a downer or anything, but this doesn't look like it's going our way," Max said. "If we don't get out of here soon, we're done for."

"I've been to a few rock concerts in my day," Zeke said. "Sometimes you've just kind of got to push your way to the front of the crowd. Of course, many of the people in those crowds are waifishly thin girls, not four hundred pound muscular demons that are trying to kill you."

"Well, we've got to do something. I, for one, don't want to die mostly sober. I say we just start kicking demons in the balls and see how far we can get." Max paused to think for a moment. "Do demons even have balls? If they do are they all red and scaly? Do I even want to know the answer to these questions?"

Just to their left an especially ugly red devil ripped a Milosh in half with its bare hands. It turned its attention towards Max and Zeke and a puff of smoke wafted out of its nostrils.

"I changed my mind," Zeke said. "I don't want to be a hero anymore. It's past time to pull the patented Zeke move and run away. Could you guys get out of the way so I can run?"

"Well, I don't suppose there's anything to do but test out my theory," Max shrugged. He pulled his leg back and then kicked the devil in the crotch as hard as he could. It felt not unlike kicking a solid brick wall and it didn't seem to slow the brute down at all. Instead it smiled a big toothy grin and reached towards Max with a massive clawed hand.

Before it could grab him, several Miloshes leaped in and grabbed it by both arms. "Get to the door, friends Max and Zeke," one of the Miloshes said. "Will restrain this one as long as Milosh can. Will also try to clear a path for you."

"Thanks, big guy," Max said. "We owe you one."

Slowly a small opening in the crowd started to appear between them and the door. The going was slow among the mass of fighting bodies, but they were able to make their way after several minutes.

"There's got to be something else we can do," Zeke said. "If the demons defeat the Miloshes, which unfortunately looks to be inevitable, they're just going to follow us down to Ingleblott and we're still dead."

"Maybe we can transport ourselves to some kind of armory," Max said. "We could come back here with all kinds of badass weapons like Uzis and flame throwers and bazookas. I've always wanted to fire a bazooka. Hell, we could even come back here with a nuclear bomb and blow this whole damn thing to smithereens."

A Milosh nearby suddenly turned to them. "No worries. Help is on way."

"Yeah?" Max asked. "Is somebody coming with the big guns? Are a bunch of space fighters going to come flying through that door and start blasting these guys? Because that would be awesome as hell."

The doorway lit up and all of a sudden Maurice stepped out.

"Him?" Max asked as his face fell. "We got big brains on our side like Dr. Octavius and that Lothar guy, and their big plan is to send in the lab geek?"

"Hey, I'm a lab geek," Zeke said.

"Don't worry guys," Maurice said. "I brought something with me that I think should turn the tide in our favor. Uh, you might want to find something to hang on to. It's about to get a little turbulent in here."

The Miloshes, who were already cued into the plan stopped fighting all at once and grabbed onto whatever they could find. Maurice pulled out Dr. Octavius's weather control machine and set the dial to the hurricane setting, which he then cranked up to its maximum strength.

Massive amounts of wind and rain stirred up out of nowhere and started battering the unexpected demon hordes. A large number of them were swept through the invisible door and into the giant star that had claimed their master. The ones that remained were so dazed that when Maurice abruptly shut the machine off a few minutes later, they were easily subdued by the Miloshes.

Zeke raised his head slowly and let go of the side of the door that he had been clinging to for dear life. The room was a huge mess, but it was clear that the battle had been won. The Miloshes were pushing the last of the demons through the invisible door and then they let out a cheer.

"That was a pretty good plan, science boy," Max said as he stood up and dusted himself off.

"Good job, Maurice," Zeke said as he shook his hand.

"Thanks," Maurice said with a blush. "We'd better go see if everyone's okay back on Ingleblott."