Chapter 53

"Maurice, please hand me that socket wrench," Dr. Octavius said as he studied one of the doors carefully.

"Yes, sir," Maurice said as he scrambled over to the bench and picked up the tool.

"Maurice, could you get me a hammer?" Lothar asked.

"Right away, sir," Maurice said.

"Maurice, this is the wrong size socket wrench," Dr. Octavius said. "Fetch me the smaller one from the cabinet."

"Yes, sir," Maurice said as he crossed the room again.

"Maurice," Lothar said. "My back itches. Would you please scratch it for me?"

"Of course, sir. But might I suggest you use the claw side of the hammer I just gave you? They make excellent self back-scratchers."

"I'm very busy pounding with the hammer right now," Lothar said. "No time for a back-scratching break. This kind of task is exactly why I hired you as my assistant."

"No problem, sir," Maurice said as he scratched Lothar's back for him.

"Maurice, I need you to fetch me my work goggles," Dr. Octavius said.

"They're on top of your head, sir," Maurice said. "Just pull them down over your eyes."

"My hands are busy. Would you pull them down for me?" Dr. Octavius asked.

"Yes, sir," Maurice said as he scrambled over to Dr. Octavius and lowered his goggles for him.

"Maurice, now my buttocks itch," Lothar said. "Would you be so kind as to scratch them for me?"

"Okay, sir," Maurice said as he ran back over to Lothar.

"Maurice, I need you to remove my goggles for me now," Dr. Octavius said.

"Coming, sir," Maurice said as he ran back across the room.

"Maurice, this hammer is in my way now," Lothar said. "Please remove it from my vicinity for me."

"One hammer being put away, sir," Maurice said as he scooted over to the table and took the hammer.

"Maurice, my brow is sweating and it's dripping into my eyes," Dr. Octavius said. "Would you grab a hanky and wipe off my brow for me?"

"I've got a clean hanky right here, sir," Maurice said as he pulled one out of his pocket and scurried back across the room.

"Maurice, I'm going to need that hammer again," Lothar said.

"Let me grab that for you, sir," Maurice said as he hurried back across the room to get the hammer.

"Maurice, the top of my head feels sweaty, too," Dr. Octavius said. "Would you please wipe it off for me as well?"

"Yes, sir," Maurice said as he pulled his hanky out again.

"Maurice, I'm afraid I'm starting to feel the need to urinate," Lothar said. "I'm way too deep into this research to take the time to go to the restroom. I'm going to need you to grab a beaker, unzip my pants, and hold the beaker in position as I relieve myself."

"Um, okay, sir," Maurice said as he went about his assigned task. "I didn't realize what a challenge it would be to have two bosses."