Chapter 47

Zeke had dozed off in one of the beanbag chairs but was roused back into wakefulness by a slight tapping sensation on his eyelids and forehead. "What the hell's going on?" He sat up to find Shazmar touching his face. The spindly orange alien let out a pinging noise and skittered out of the room.

"What was that freak doing?" Zeke yawned as he stood up. He felt like he had a bit of a hangover. The game of beer pong had apparently taken its toll. Looking around he saw Milosh passed out on another bean bag chair, while Bumble-Boo and WBDG were curled up next to each other on a couch sound asleep. There didn't appear to be any sign of any of the other crew members.

A door in the wall opened and Sadie walked out humming to herself. "Oh hey, Zeke. How's it going?"

"I could use some water," he said as he smacked his lips. "Hey, how come you're not with Trey? Did you come to your senses and realize what a douchebag he is?"

"Apparently we're closing in on the bad guys so he needed to devote his attention to work. Isn't he just amazing though?"

"Are you even listening to me?" Zeke asked. "I just called him a douchebag. Does that sound like I think he's amazing?"

"He's so talented at so many things," Sadie said.

"He's pretty good at a few games," Zeke said. "That doesn't make him talented or amazing. He probably just has lots of time on his hands to practice useless skills. Seriously, I really don't get what's so great about that guy."

"He's just so interesting," Sadie said.

"I'm interesting, damn it. I've been to outer space, for crying out loud."

"So has he," Sadie said.

"Yeah? Well, I've been to another universe, too. I bet he's never done that."

"He's also super brave," Sadie said.

"I'm like three times as brave as that guy," Zeke said. "Personally, I don't even think his tales of heroism are true. Now me, I've got heroic stories. I didn't want to bring this up before because I don't like to brag, but there was this one time when I took down a bunch of talking flowers."

"That sounds like it took a lot of bravery," Sadie said.

"Yeah, but they were really nasty flowers. And big. Did I mention they were big? I guess you kind of had to be there."

"He's also funny. And smart. And gorgeous. And everybody likes him and looks up to him."

"Maybe so, but he's not perfect. Nobody's perfect. He's got some sort of flaw and I'll dig it up. He is kind of an asshole. There's that for starters."

"He's not an asshole," Sadie said.

"Don't you think it was kind of dickish how he kept calling me Geek?"

"Lighten up, man. He was just joking around with you. You seriously need to learn how to take a joke."

"He wasn't joking! I'm pretty sure that guy might be a sociopath. I wouldn't be surprised if he laughed at jokes about handicapped people."

"Zeke, are you jealous? You shouldn't be. First of all, you can't even begin to compete with Trey. Also you've got Milosh over there. You guys seem happy together."