Chapter 39

Zeke woke up in his bed with Milosh standing over him staring at him. "Is finally awake? Joyous day! Milosh would like to go see space station."

"Huh?" Zeke asked groggily. "What are you talking about?"

"Is at space station," Milosh said. "Is opportunity for ship to refuel. Is also opportunity for shopping and having drinks at bar."

"There's a bar here?" Zeke asked as he got out of bed. "Why didn't you say so?"

Sadie and Bumble-Boo were waiting outside the door when Zeke and Milosh exited. "It'll be nice to get off the spaceship again and stretch our legs a bit, huh?" Sadie said. "Maybe there'll be something worth buying here, too, although I'm not exactly sure what they use for money at a deep space station."

"I can answer that," Nulfar said as he walked around the corner. "Like all civilized societies, they use the intergalactic standard, the Fooberino. I've been authorized to offer each of you an allowance of one hundred Fooberinos to spend as you wish at the space station. Have fun, and don't spend them all in one place."

"Great," Zeke said as he accepted the money, which looked kind of like a miniature grapefruit with a picture of an elbow with eyes stamped on it. "Exactly how much is a Fooberino worth?"

"One Fooberino is equivalent to six hundred and forty-nine Jomba-bazeelers."

"Maybe I should make myself more clear," Zeke said. "How many beers can I buy at the bar with one hundred Fooberinos?"

"Beer?" Nulfar tilted his head. "Zero. The space station does not carry beer, as anyone with even a slightly refined palate would not be caught dead ingesting that swill. You may purchase a highly superior Astro Blaster for five Fooberinos."

"Okay, so that's twenty drinks," Zeke said. "Nineteen, I guess, if I tip the bartender. That should work."

Nulfar led them down several hallways and then out through a circular door. They passed through an airlock and emerged inside a huge open area enclosed by a translucent glass dome. Looking over his shoulder, Zeke could see the Hooblerians' spaceship situated on a dock. Numerous figures in space suits were running around hosing it down and putting fuel in it.

There were hundreds of stands set up on the inside with merchants of every shape and size hocking their wares. It had the feel of an outdoor bazaar as the smell of strange spices wafted through the air while various creatures jostled to get their attention. Nearby an alien who looked like a walrus covered in red and pink feathers whistled at them and held up an object that resembled a stethoscope made out of leather. It gave off a faint, but distinct odor of limburger cheese. Zeke couldn't even begin to fathom what its purpose might be. Milosh offered to buy it for him, but he declined. Off at the far end of the plaza he could barely make out a blinking neon light in the shape of a shot glass.

Nulfar excused himself to go help the rest of the crew restock on supplies. He told them to meet back by the ship in four hours.

Sadie bought a rainbow colored friendship bracelet from a being composed of pure energy and slid it on Bumble-Boo's paw. "Look how cute he is," she gushed.

"Four hours isn't all that long and this stuff looks mostly like junk," Zeke said. "If you guys need me, I'll be hanging out at that bar over there."

"Milosh will join you. Is also hanging out at four different bars back on Ingleblott right now. Is getting, how you say, fucked up."