Ashton by Luke

TRIGGER WARNING

Luke's POV:

We were both backstage, Ashton's head in my lap. He'd passed out at his kit halfway through She's Kinda Hot; we're all worried about him. Still having not woken up fifteen minutes later, Michael was debating calling an ambulance for the poor guy. Calum was holding his phone with the emergency services' number already typed in, anxiously waiting to his the green call button.

It was silent in the room.

Come on, wake up. Wake up, Ash.

"That's it. I'm calling," Calum hits the button, and before we knew it he was talking to someone, then thanking them and stuffing his phone in his back pocket. "They're on their way."

I looked at Ashton's curls and felt his hot breath against my shirt, stirring it gently. I was not prepared for what came next. The warm air stopped seeping through the minuscule holes in my shirt, and Ashton's entire body paled a little bit.

The paramedics rushed in and I shook him until they forced him from my arms. Calum and Michael held me back while I writhed in emotional agony.

"ASHTON! NO! KEEP HIM SAFE! ASH!" I screamed and tears fell down my face so rapidly that I couldn't have counted them. I made one, long, continuous screech and I decided I wouldn't stop until I saw his chest moving up and down again.

Why wasn't he breathing?

What was wrong?

"Excuse me, sir!" A paramedic was tapping my leg from where she was crouched next to Ashton and his gurney.

"What?" I pulled myself from my trance. Michael and Calum hugged me.

"We're very sorry, we did all we could..." And with that she and her fellow doctors stepped aside. Ash lay under a white blanket, his eyes shut.

"Ashton?" Calum pulled Michael and I to the ground as he spoke. "Ash, come back."

"He isn't coming back!" Michael furiously wiped a year from underneath his eye. "We lost him."

I couldn't say anything. Not a single word. Instead, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the velvet covered box. I opened it and took out the ring.

"You were gonna... Shit... Luke," Calum held me. I batted him away.

Placing the ring on his finger, I gave my  boyfriend one last kiss.

-

5 Seconds Of Summer never performed live again. The remaining three lived in a house together, with Ashton buried in the garden. Every year on the day of Ash's death, the boys would sit and play She's Kinda Hot by Ashton's grave,  leaving silence where his solo should have come. Luke cried every night, and he held the box until he fell asleep. The velvet wore away.

Luke became sad... Very sad. Calum and Michael noticed. They tried their hardest, but they couldn't save him.

Luke hung himself exactly 10 years after Ashton died. Michael found him hanging from the ash tree above the grave in the garden. He was buried next to Ashton with the box in his hands.

Fans all over the world cried.

Calum cried.

Michael cried.

And heaven cried.

Rain fell from the sky faster than the tears that fell from Luke's eyes on the day Ashton died all those years ago.

-