Daniel the Lion

This is one billion and six years late, but I never break a promise. @Flat_HairedMuke requested this, and I'm sorry I made you all wait so long for this update. Please don't kill me.

The mood changes half way through but I like it. Thoughts?

xx

Narrative:

"Michael, you have to take the fever reducer! If you don't, I'll fry an egg on your face," Luke huffed and began to pour the ghastly liquid onto the white plastic spoon, extending his arm. Whining in response, Michael thrashed his arms around in bed. "Calm down! For God's sake, just drink it!"

"I don't wanna, Lukey!" Michael's voice was raspy and scratched, clawing it's way up his throat with an unsettling vengeance.

"I guess I'll just have to leave you here. I don't want to be around when you burst into flames," Luke sighed, tipping the medicine back into the bottle and letting the two objects rest on Michael's bedside table. He grabbed the stuffed lion which lay propped up against the lamp. "Here," he said, thrusting Daniel into Michael's chest. "Take your lion with you to the afterlife," Luke stood and turned in his heel.

"Stop!" His voice barely above a whisper, Michael called out to Luke, who retraced his actions. "Lay with me, Lukey?" A feeble hand reached out to touch Luke's shoulder. A violent shiver sent Michael into a cocoon of bedsheets. Luke pressed a hand to Michael's forehead. He melted into Luke's cool touch.

"Thinking about taking that fever reducer yet?"

"Mmhmm..."

"Gonna stop being such a brat?"

"Hey!" Michael tried to protest, clinging onto Daniel and coughing hard. He fought for breath gallantly, his steed clutched in his fist and, though his weapon non-extistent, cut down the relentless germs that stood in his way.

Well, most of them.

Some.

Okay, maybe none.

"Buddy, sit up," Luke supported his upper back, his arms strong and soft. For a while Michael lay, wrapped in Luke's arms, coughing and sneezing, until he had almost fallen asleep. It was just as Michael's eyes fell shut that Luke spoke softly to him. "Here," he reached across the bed to fetch Daniel, who had fallen from Michael's grip as his consciousness had swayed.

Now Daniel sat in a safe haven- that safe haven was a coccoon, though infected with terrible plague, that had warmth and love.

Throughout the evening, Luke fetched tea and medicine, blankets and cool packs. He pushed Michael's straw hair from his glass eyes as the elder drifted from daze to daze, chest wracked with a rattling of air.

When the time for Michael to sleep came, the blankets were tucked and the cool packs strategically placed, and Daniel sat on his plinth- his very own Pride Rock- and nestled in the covers upon his loyal companion.