One, Two, Tree- ❄️

For @crybabyxcth

xx

Calum's POV:

I held the door open as Ashton and Luke hauled the tree through the living room door, fitting it into the little brace Maya had set up in the space we cleared. Michael trailed in behind, eating a turkey sandwich, which he claimed was 'contributing to the festive atmosphere', but we all knew he was just too lazy. Maya tapped on the window from outside, dressed in a thick coat and gloves, topped off with a knitted bobble hat. Our heads swivelled to see her and she waved, so we waved back enthusiastically, grinning sheepishly. Maya ran to the front door and pushed it open, deeply inhaling the fresh scent of the pine tree. They are pine trees... Right? I rushed over and pulled off her boots while she ruffled my hair. I kissed her left knee.

"Dude... She's gotcha whipped!" Michael jeered and slurped on an enormous fizzy drink. Maya looked up, a bit confused, and then spoke in the voice I know so well.

"Mike, where where on earth did you get that?!" Her hands were on her hips as she smiled at him.

"He doesn't know, he thought it 'added to the Christmassy feel'," Ashton and Luke entered the hallway, pulling off their thick thermal jackets.

"Thanks guys, wanna watch a movie?" I offered, looking between them.

"Mean Girls," Luke whispered and closed his eyes, pulling his cold, red hands up so they were underneath his chin and biting his bottom lip hopefully. He thought we didn't hear him. "Gay ass!" Michael pushed past him and into the living room to sit down again. Apparently providing Christmas cheer wears the laziest of humanity out. He acted like he didn't care about Luke's movie choices, but we all know he does. "There's nothing wrong with being gay! Luke protested, "But I'm not gay!"

"Yeah, right!"

We all rolled our eyes and sat down with Michael in the sitting room, putting the movie in to play. Maya and I got out the box of our Christmas decorations, beginning to put them up on the tree, after detangling a huge knot of various different types of fairy lights (most of which didn't work) and assorted rainbow tinsel.

A sharp pain gripped my stomach and for a second o thought I was going to be sick. Maya was still knelt on the ground, admiring the china fairy that went on top and arranging the netted skirts with a content look on her beautiful face. (Seriously, you're all beautiful). "I don't feel too good all of a sudden, I'm gonna sit down," I start to move back to the sofa with one hand on my stomach. 

"Not so fast, mister! Where do you think you're going?" She giggles at me, still not looking up properly. "We're nearly done, and I need you to lift me up so I can put the fairy on the tree in a bit!" She sounded so excited and happy, I didn't want to be a spoiled-sport and burst her bubble. She hummed a Christmas song and for a second all I could think about was how I had to push through this minuscule bump in the road and put up the tree with my lovely girlfriend. The whole world melted away around her and I didn't care.

I hung a few more decorations until it hurt to move my arms because the ache in my stomach had grown so much. I moaned aloud. All the boys' eyes were on me. Maya stared. "Are you okay, honey?" 

I shook my head. My bottom lip started wobbling.

"Sit, sit on here," Maya guided me to the sofa and drew circles with her palm on my back; a tear fell. "Aw, sweetie, I'm sorry I didn't believe you. You wanna do the tree later?" I nod childishly because I can't muster words right at this moment. Michael pats my other shoulder, Ashton coos at me. Luke bites his bottom lip nervously and shuffles in his seat.

On the screen, someone calls someone a skank very loudly, and we all jump, eyes averting towards the screen. "That put some spring back in your step, hey?" Maya a chuckles, still rubbing. I nod a tiny bit, the pain slowly edging away. I lean further into Maya and whisper in her ear.

"I love you."

"And I love you, Calum."

She kisses my forehead.

It's moments like these that I cherish.