The Lighting of the Candles- ✡

For chantelxclifford
Yes, this has a slight link to one of the Christmas one shot 'Home Birth', because it fitted well.

xx

Michael's POV:

C'mon Mike, it can't be that hard to find something to wear.

"It's all band shirts!" I cry in outrage down the phone line. "The only one even half smart enough has my fucking face on it! I can't propose with my face on my chest!"

"Mike, calm down. You stole my button up after that award show a couple years ago, remember?"

"Yeah, I remember! But it needs ironing!"

"Well iron it then! Stick some skinny jeans on with it, nobody'll notice." Luke sounds distracted on the other end. I reach deep into my drawer and pull out a crumpled, pale blue button up that once belonged to Luke. "Mate, calm down, Chantel might get back soon, and you told me you're leaving as soon as that happens. Now go iron it- Hey! Anna's making some reallll cute sounds, listen!" Rustling, I can't deal with his fucking child right now. Luke speaks again, in a high, babying tone. "Annalee! Make those sounds for Unca Mikey! Ya know you want to! Oh yes you do! Ohhhhh, yes you do!" More rustling.

"Luke!" I bark.

Annalee's voice, as adorable as it is, is not something I want to hear right now. "Micah!

"Luke!"

"Micah!"

"Luke!"

"Micah!"

"Luke!"

"Miiiiicaaaaahhh!" She giggles.

Rustling.

"Oh, damn. She was doing it a second ago." Luke grumbles. I open my mouth to speak again, but I'm cut off. "Wait!"

"Mimimimimimi! Do! Da do! Do do do do do do doooooo..." Annalee trails off.

"LUKE!"

More rustling.
It's back to Luke again. "Just like good girls, well, nearly. That was ages ago, man! I was, like, a virgin!"

"Luke, I don't fucking care! What do I do?" I start making my way to the kitchen, phone pressed between my shoulder and ear, getting the ironing board out.

"Just do it, man! It's real easy- yes Lily?" Not a-fucking-gain. I'm done with this.

"Bye, Luke!" I slam my phone down in on the side, angrily plugging in the iron and waiting for it to heat up. I check the clock, realising that I only have a matter of ten minutes until Chantel arrives home. Hurriedly flattening out the creased shirt, regardless of whether the iron is hot enough or not, I start running up the stairs, flicking switches off as I go. I change as fast as I can, and just as I'm rearranging my hair, keys turn in the lock.

"Mike, I'm back!" Chantel yells up at me.

"Coming!" I hop down the stairs whilst tying my laces, kicking the abandoned iron to the sides I come into view. I mentally face-palm as it lands face down- needless to say, I have to correct it before we end up with a singed triangle on the floor or a burned house.

"You look good honey, let's go."

-

"Are you sure they want me here for this?" I bite my lip anxiously.