Chapter Seventeen, Attacked

"When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts, nothing helps me so much as running to my books, they quickly absorb me and banish the clouds from my mind."
- Michel de Montalgne

Garroth's Pov
I went back inside Metelli to warn the other about the opened Portal..

..but I was too late.

Guards were defending this called, 'Shadow Souls'. Laurance often tells me about them.

"YOU TWO GET CADENZA TO SAFETY! WE'LL HOLD OFF THESE THINGS.." said one of the guards of Cadenza, Zack.

"These are...--"

"--SHADOW SOULS! WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING--"

"THE NETHER PORTAL HAS BEEN OPENED!"

"Z-ZACK!"

"THESE THINGS ARE TOO STRONG TO PUSH BACK!"

"THEY'VE BEEN CHANNELING THEIR POWER IN THE NETHER PORTAL FOR TOO LONG! WE NEED TO--"

"VINCENT, CLOUD GET CADENZA TO SAFETY NOW!"

Laurance and the other guards were screaming and defending off the Shadow Souls. One approached me and I pulled out my sword. Another Shadow Soul cam for me and I was able to push the other one to block the second Shadow Soul.

Two Shadow Souls were able to get pass Zack. "CADENZA!!" I screamed and pushed off the shadow souls on me and ran fast to Cadenza. But she was already taken. Aphmau, Vincent, and Cloud ran off to find Cadenza.

Shadow Souls started coming towards me. I was able to fight them off with Katelyn and the other guards.

..Aphmau, please be safe.

A few minutes later..~

Aphmau, Vincent and Cloud were able to get Cadenza back. We all went to her house after the whole attack. Good thing those Shadow Souls were now gone.

Katelyn went down the stairs. "Emmalyn and Aerith are healing Cadenza and claim she'll be fine by morning." Aphmau sighed and said, "It's good to hear.."

"Good. Now, Vincent, Laurance... I need answers now. What exactly were those accursed fiends that attacked the village?"

"First off, I want to know how the heck you know about Shadow Souls Vincent.. the only people who knew that name are well studied scholars and.."

"Shadow Knights. Yes, I am one of them and I can tell you are as well."

"I knew there was something off about you. I didn't want to say anything in front of Cadenza."

"Calm Down. He's managed to gain full control of himself and hasn't cause any issue since I've known him."

"Explain the red eyes..."

"......"

"I killed my previous Lord to obtain these long before you were born."

"Vincent..you don't have to talk about it."

"The only way a shadow knight can have those eyes is if he killed the one he cared for most. In guard's cases it would be the Lord we protect."

"I have my immortality. I'm not ashamed to say that. The Lord I killed to get it deserved it. He was a horrible person to his people and killed innocent women and children. You best know your place before you start talking you premature Shadow Knight."

Laurance took his sword out and attacked Vincent. Their swords clashed but I was able to block my sword between their swords. "Stop it Laurance." I said looking into Laurance's eyes. He was angry. He was in pain. I could see it in his eyes. But he just stared at Vincent's eyes with anger. "Laurance!" Aphmau cried.

"Don't test me.. I'll rip you to shreds... I know exactly the kind of scum you are. I also know you made a move on my lady."

"If she's your woman then where's her wedding ring? I don't see one. She's free game.. YOU PREMATURE SHADOW KNIGHT!"

..Oh so that's how you see Aphmau? A Game? A Toy?..

..I would like you to shut up cause she's mine.

"STOP CALLING ME THA--"

"ENOUGH. LAURANCE. OUTSIDE."

"WHAT?!"

"Laurance, you need to calm down. I seriously want you to go outside and take a breather."

"Laurance if Vincent were a bad guy wouldn't we know by now? Do as Aphmau says and take a breather."

"Fine." Laurance putted down his sword. I walked to him and whispered, "He's hitting on Aphmau...What do we do?" "Let's talk about it outside." He growled.

"I'll accompany you to explain everything about Vincent. Lady Katelyn, Garroth, I'd like for you to join us as well."

"Very well." Katelyn replied and I nodded. Four of us went outside and I closed the door.

A few hours later..~

I saw Aphmau ran out the door panicked and ran to the stables to get her horse. She rode her horse and started running put of Metelli.

I ran and followed her but her horse was too fast. "APHMAU!!" I called her but she was too far to hear it and look back. I saw Vincent go out and I pinned him on a wall.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER!"

"I told her about other villages were possibly were attacked by Shadow Souls and she ran out! I didn't do anything!"

"Garroth calm down. Don't worry.." Katelyn said as I let go Vincent. "..So this means..Levin..Malachi.. WE HAVE TO GO!" "NO! Garroth it's too dangerous! We'll leave tomorrow." "Fine."